Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trying Out New Sti

IAN27

I went to the range yesterday to try out a new STI Executive .40. The pistol was ordered as standard apart from a fibre optic sight and black grips. I first tried some rounds loaded with Unique powder. They were loaded with Frontier 180gr CMJ over 5.2grns of Unique with an OAL of 1.140. The pistol functioned well with these rounds and accuracy was good. I then tried several different loadings I had using N320. I loaded a few batches using the same Frontier 180gr CMJ bullet. I started at 4.2grns and worked up in 0.1grn increments to 4.6grns. I set the OAL at 1.160. I realise with the STI that I can load longer, but just used that OAL as a starting poiint. The 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4grn loads were hopeless with the spent cases failing to eject numerous times. Once I moved on to the 4.5 and 4.6grn loads the ejection problem disappeared, but the slide failed to remain in the rearward position after firing the last round. Unfortunately I did not have a chrono set up. I am really only looking for a good accurate load and do not need to make major. The slide failing to remain rearward after firing the last round makes me wonder if the 4.5 and 4.6grn loads are still on the light side for the pistol. I was just wandering if anyone else is using a similar pistol using N320 powder and 180grn CMJ bullets. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hello; I shoot a STI as well. I made mine and had some problems with feeding. The first thing I changed was the recoil spring to a 13lb one and alot of my feeding problems went away. (not all). I could not figure out what was going on. I'm very lucky since Benny Hill and Merlin Orr live in my town. First thing Benny asked was what length do you load to? "That's the problem try these." Merlin handed me a handful of ammo to try. I use the Precision 155 grain bullet loaded to 1.180 OAL for minor. I use Titegroup for powder so I can't help you with the powder you use. I now have no feeding problems and thank Benny and Merlin everytime I see them. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric

For my STI Eagle I use 4.8 gr N320 with 180 gr HAP loaded to 1.180 and makes major, it has a Schuman barrel.

For my STI Edge I use 4.6 gr N320 with 180 gr Hap loaded to 1.189 and makes major, it has an STI barrel, this load is minor in my Eagle.

I use a 12, 13 or 14# spring.

Edited by CenTX

• 3 weeks later...

for clean non major loads, CLAYS works great.

if you can, give it a shot.

Ive seem major loads with clays, shot side by side with N320 and titegroup.

it may seem odd, but with jacketed bullets i think Titegroup is about as good as its gonna get. With precision coated bullets...i think ill be leaning more towards clays.,

titegroup has more snap to it than VV n320...and i like that it feels like my open gun.

harmon