Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Ranger Ii Legal?

born-in-45

I would like to shoot ESP with an STI Ranger II (9mm) but am not sure whether the gun is legal for the class. I can find (STI, Dawson, Brazos) where the gun is legal for USPSA/IPSC but no mention of IDPA. The barrel is a bull barrel but it is under 4.2 length (4.15) so my reading of the rules leads me to believe it would be legal - "Factory installed cone style barrels...with length of 4.2 or less". Can anyone tell me if the gun is legal for ESP and if not why not?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
The Ranger II may be legal but the Recoil Master is not, unless there has been a new ruling on this.

I see no reason why the recoil master is not legal. It's a factory part.

HK runs a very similar recoil system in the USP.

There is no rule in the book that states that this type of guiderod if unacceptable. It weighs less than an all steel FLGR (which are permitted). Furthermore, the gun itself definatly complies with IDPA's principles, it is designed for carry. I don't think anyone that shoots IDPA will get on to you about shooting a gun designed for carry.

No one is going to be asking you to take apart the gun to see you guiderod system.

Besides, the RM doesnt reduce the recoil it only makes it feel different.

It meets all the criteria for ESP so buy one and shoot it like crazy. Looks like a good gun to me.

Edited by austinkroe

The Ranger II may be legal but the Recoil Master is not, unless there has been a new ruling on this.

I see no reason why the recoil master is not legal. It's a factory part.

HK runs a very similar recoil system in the USP.

There is no rule in the book that states that this type of guiderod if unacceptable. It weighs less than an all steel FLGR (which are permitted). Furthermore, the gun itself definatly complies with IDPA's principles, it is designed for carry. I don't think anyone that shoots IDPA will get on to you about shooting a gun designed for carry.

No one is going to be asking you to take apart the gun to see you guiderod system.

Besides, the RM doesnt reduce the recoil it only makes it feel different.

It meets all the criteria for ESP so buy one and shoot it like crazy. Looks like a good gun to me.

agreed, i find nothing about it illegal, it is made out of steel not tungsten, i did have one i think they are crap, they are a cheap imitation of the standard dual capture recoil spring found in many compact models

Edited by FTDR

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed IDPA and the answer I got back was that the Recoil Master is not legal but the Ranger ll would be legal by substituting a standard steel one piece guide rod. I would assume this means any STI with the Recoil Master would have to be swapped to be legal. By the way the bull barrel is legal as it is shorter than the 4.2" max allowed for bull barrels. Thanks for all the replies and input.

THANKS

I emailed IDPA and the answer I got back was that the Recoil Master is not legal but the Ranger ll would be legal by substituting a standard steel one piece guide rod. I would assume this means any STI with the Recoil Master would have to be swapped to be legal. By the way the bull barrel is legal as it is shorter than the 4.2" max allowed for bull barrels. Thanks for all the replies and input.

THANKS

that's odd, i know of two people who ran them at the nats, and i have never been able to find it in the rule book where they are not legal, not in any form or definition