Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

International Defensive Shooting Assoc

Mick

I shot an IDSA match yesterday. The rules look to combine the best of both worlds. Major/minor PF, nuetralized targets, drop your mags, reasonable holsters and gear...

BUT they just can't get away from the "failed to do right" mentality! Stage descriptions were verbal with a bunch of quirks and penalties where none should be.

AND....they take a prejudice to USPSA/IPSC shooters (especially upper level).

I was given a penalty for shooting a target with my strong hand only when the target was

designated a FREE STYLE target!!! The SO backed off when I challenged him on the meaning of FREE STYLE!!!! ( he thought I was supposed to use two hands??)

IDSA appeared to have all the right stuff for Practical/tactical shooters. IF (a big if) they can get over their prejudice, it could have a chance. Good luck with that...

Mick

A27257

"Is it non-profit, for profit, or unincorporated? Do IDSA members get a vote or is this another one of those organizations where only the founders get a say in the running of the organization?"

What does it matter..... :angry:

Does anyone have a website address for IDSA ? :huh:

The founder is a guy named Len Baxley who has been around the Dallas area as a USPSA shooter since the 90s. He got into IDPA and was doing well but apparently didn't get along with the leadership. IDSA is a good idea but needs some refinements. At this point I don't believe Len offers the membership involvement into rule changes or other organization involvement. That's too bad because it is basically a good idea. The only real thing I didn't like was having to wear a vest to cover the gun.

The targets are well designed but stage descriptions should be written and be simple.

They still get a little too involved in stuff like kneeling as opposed to crouching etc....(I got a penalty for not kneeling when I was plenty low down and shooting!) There is not enough free style in the courses....yet. I hope the penalty they tried to give me for shooting a "Freestyle target" with my stronghand (ONLY) was just a brainfart on the RO/SO's part (who was looking to penalize me for anything???). All in all, I like the theory and hope it can take off.

Mick

A27257

I got in touch with Len today. He assured me the incidents I saw were limited to an untrained SO/RO who had IDPA roots and forgot some of the IDSA rules.

I may try to get an IDSA match going here to fill in some unused weekends...

Mick

A27257

I have known Len for about 10 yrs...He was a hell of an IDPA shooter the first three or four years they commenced...Like a lot of us, he did not go along with some of the things IDPA did and looks like he has taken the bull by the horns and done something about it...

I personally do not care if it is a little rough around the edges if the simple rules are followed consistently..Looks like a GREAT idea...Wonder what Hackathorn's response to this will be...he basically told everyone that did not like the way IDPA was being run, "..to form your own sport and run it like you think it should be run.."...WOW, I love this...

Going to call Len tonight and see about forming a club in the Conroe, Spring area...

I'm pretty sure these are the guys who put on the Glock vs 1911 1000 round match. It was shot at a range in Ferris TX. The match was great as were the guys who ran it. I shot one regular match with these guys and it was low key with all the SO's polite, helpfull and it seemed, good attitudes.

Yes in reference to the 1000 round match which incidently hasn't always been won by a Glock! I believe Bobby Spradlin won it with an SV one year. I intended to shoot that match but since they made everyone download their mags, I didn't...

IDSA has the potential to go somewhere if run correctly!

Mick

A27257

Need ato get Duane or Patrick out there and shoot a match or two and then write it up in one of the veritable plethora of magazines they each write for...that might help a bit...and even if it did not take off nationally, it might catch the attention of the leader of another game some shoot and help it make some needed changes...LOL

Mick,

Did you shoot in Ferris or at Johnson County? I have known Len for about 8 years and started shooting IDSA when it first started (There is a picture of me shooting an MP5 during the inaugural match on the IDSA website) but kinda drifted over to USPSA because we did not get the turn out at IDSA matches. I wanted to shoot against more folks to really see where I was. Pretty far down on the food chain as it turns out :D

IDSA has been kinda stagnant the past couple of years, mainly due to lack of marketing. Len has been busy trying to improve the range and has been fighting with the state over permits and other assorted BS. That has recently changed as he has been granted (finally) all of the permits and permissions he needs to expand the range. Once that is underway, I will harass him to start trying to push IDSA again.

It ain't a perfect game, but it is fun to shoot.