Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Advice

John Suber

hi i am a begginer to open shooting and i have learned the basics to shooting open (like dont forget to turn the dot off, that sort of thing). My dad has got me working on a new drill where i look at the target before i bring the gun over, so that i can get to the target more quickly. Well i would like to know what else there is to learn in that range of things. I would apprecitate it very much if i could have some more hints and good drills to work on. :):):):)

hi i am a begginer to open shooting and i have learned the basics to shooting open (like dont forget to turn the dot off, that sort of thing). My dad has got me working on a new drill where i look at the target before i bring the gun over, so that i can get to the target more quickly. Well i would like to know what else there is to learn in that range of things. I would apprecitate it very much if i could have some more hints and good drills to work on. :):):):)

I have seen ya shoot! Keep up the good work, train hard!!

Since you scope (red dot) sits a few inches above the gun barrel...there is some "offset" there.

You should probably shoot for the A-zone in the head (shoot groups) at various distances, so that you can see how much difference there is between where the dot is and where the bullet hits...at various distances. (point of impact will change with different distances...compared to your point of aim)

You should be able to put hits in the A-zone of the head at just about any distance...so learn where you need to hold to do so (at any distance).

• 3 weeks later...

I think the gun and your eyes should start moving at the same time after your last shot. The theory is that your eyes will get to the next target faster than your sights will.

Even though we're talking about very, very small fractions of seconds, consciously thinking about moving your eyes first and then your gun will most likely slow you down. Split seconds are what separate the elite. Anytime you can gain one here and there is precious.

I'm a relatively new shooter but I think the above is sound.

If you have a C-More parctice your draw, freestyle, strong and weak handed from and from different positions, i.e. leaning, crouching etc. so you can learn to find the dot quickly. The transfer to weak hand is a killer for me.

There is nothing worse that using the fastest gun around but you can't start shooting because you are hunting for the dot.

Like the others have said, work on accuracy first and speed will come. Practice on timing the gun so your breaking the shot while the dot is still moving. In rapid transitions between multiple targets the dot is always moving so you need to learn when to break the shot as the dot is moving, if you wait for its to stop of get real slow your wasting time.

accuracy is easy to lose allways take time to shoot groups when practising. pulling the trigger fast is not allways the fastest . movement in and out of a pos. is wre time is saved also remember the gun will follow were your head and eyes are pointing .hope this helps