Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking For A Wider Trigger For 625

rodney brown

Got a 625-3, which I really like. A good friend has an older 625, at -2 I think. He has a very wide trigger. It is definitely wider than anything I have on any of my S&W. He can not recall where he bought it. He has been shooting for 40+ years.

Anyone able to point in me in the direction for finding wider triggers?

For what it is worth, I find when I pull the trigger on his gun, the weight (pull) seems to be distributed over a wider area of my finger and the pull seems less. On a narrower trigger, it seems like there is more pressure. I am sure all of this in just in my empty head, but whatever works, I will take it.

Rodney,

The trigger on his gun is most likely a .500 wide "Target" trigger. That was a factory option/way it came type of thing.

Todays revolvers usually have a .325 wide thing...........I personally preferr the .400 it can be had from Smith & Wesson, or maybe some of the shade tree type guys who like the thinner triggers. (I'm one of these but I don't really like the thinner triggers)

And No it is not in your head, that is a law of physics..........(or something like that) basicly it is like this............6 pounds of force applied to a larger area will do more work, than if applied to a small area. (If my memory serves me correctly........6th grade science was a long time ago)

Good shooting, have fun, be safe.

Hopalong

Careful though.....most of us have found the wider triggers create a tendency for the gun to pull sideways when pulled in double-action mode. I'd much rather lighten the action up mechanically, and keep a nice narrow smooth trigger under my finger.

Careful though.....most of us have found the wider triggers create a tendency for the gun to pull sideways when pulled in double-action mode. I'd much rather lighten the action up mechanically, and keep a nice narrow smooth trigger under my finger.

Mike and Hopalong

Thanks for the info.... Can I order different width triggers from S&W?

Mike I have had my action done and it is smooth, lighter, but safe.

Rod

You can order a lot of the different Trigger versions from Brownells http://www.brownells.com/Default.aspx

or

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

have a pretty good selection, even of parts S&W are out of or discontinued.

I kind of like a narrow, serrated trigger.

If you do use a Wide Serrated Trigger, learn to shoot DA with just the tip of your finger (same as with a 1911) and you should be fine. Most of us get too aggressive and push the tip into the first joint, but it just feels so right!

You can order a lot of the different Trigger versions from Brownells http://www.brownells.com/Default.aspx

or

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

have a pretty good selection, even of parts S&W are out of or discontinued.

I kind of like a narrow, serrated trigger.

If you do use a Wide Serrated Trigger, learn to shoot DA with just the tip of your finger (same as with a 1911) and you should be fine. Most of us get too aggressive and push the tip into the first joint, but it just feels so right!

Mike and pskys2

Thank you for the links. As the Blues Brothers said, "we (I am) are on a mission". I will let you know what I find out.

I micrometered (sp) my trigger and my friends. His is .500 and the one I want is .400. I have a Models 27, 627, 586, 625. I shoot my 625 97% of the time, but recently have realized I do like a wider trigger.

Got a match this weekend, we will see how I do. The trigger will be fine, no doubt.!!! The shooter is questionable, as usual.

Rod