Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Options

rodney brown

Just joined this forum. I have only been shootiing IPSC this year. I shoot a 625-3 and reload 4.4 grains of Bullseye, Federal Primers and 230 grain lead round nose.

This setup was suggested to me by a friend who has been revolver shooting for years. But I was not happy with the amount smoke that hung in the air after each shot. I have read where bullet lube is the main cause of that. So I could change to jacketed, which I have done at times, that helps. But it is also expensive compared to lead. What about changing powder?

Reading on this forum, alot of people shoot Clays. Can someone take the time and give me their opinion on Clays vs Bullseye. Thanks

You'll still have smoke with Clays, although the load may feel a little softer shooting. If you want to eliminate the smoke in the air, do what most of us have done and switch to plated bullets (Rainier, Berry's, West Coast, etc.). They work well in revolvers, they're cheaper than true jacketed bullets, and virtually all the smoke will be gone.

You'll still have smoke with Clays, although the load may feel a little softer shooting. If you want to eliminate the smoke in the air, do what most of us have done and switch to plated bullets (Rainier, Berry's, West Coast, etc.). They work well in revolvers, they're cheaper than true jacketed bullets, and virtually all the smoke will be gone.

Thank you Mike, I will look around for the plated bullets you suggest. Living in Canada I don't have as many choices as you folks south of here. But where there is a will there is a way.

Rod

I used Bullseye in my 625 for years and switched to Clays a few months ago.

I found that the gun just plain stayed cleaner with Clays and I do think it shoots a bit softer.

I've been running Rainier 230 plated bullets all year. But, unless Midway has another great deal on them again soon, I may go back to Zero 230 FMJ's.

Welcome to the forum!!

I started using bullseye then went to Clays. The Clays load had less felt recoil.

I use 3.7gr Clays with a Bear Creek Moly coated 230 bullet in my 6.5" 625. About a 170 PF.

You can get Bear Creek bullets from them direct (Steve is the owner, 209-874-4322)

or at www.pathfindersports.com

I like the Bear Creek Bullets they are very accurate, don't smoke as much as lead bullets and don't cost that much more than lead.

Good Luck

John

Welcome to the forum!!

I started using bullseye then went to Clays. The Clays load had less felt recoil.

I use 3.7gr Clays with a Bear Creek Moly coated 230 bullet in my 6.5" 625. About a 170 PF.

You can get Bear Creek bullets from them direct (Steve is the owner, 209-874-4322)

I like the Bear Creek Bullets they are very accurate, don't smoke as much as lead bullets and don't cost that much more than lead.

Good Luck

John

John

I called Patherfinder and Steve is out of the office for a couple of days. Which of the Bear Creek 230 grain bullets do you use? Pathfinder shows 230 gr FP and 230 gr RN. I think I would prefer the round nose. On Pathfinders web page is seems there is a "lube groove" on the RN. I asked the person at Pathfinder about the groove, but they did not know if it was a lube groove or the purpose of the groove.

I will wait until later in the week to talk to Steve, but would like to know which bullets you use.

Rod

Welcome to the forum!!

Good Luck

John

John

I called Patherfinder and Steve is out of the office for a couple of days. Which of the Bear Creek 230 grain bullets do you use? Pathfinder shows 230 gr FP and 230 gr RN. I think I would prefer the round nose. On Pathfinders web page is seems there is a "lube groove" on the RN. I asked the person at Pathfinder about the groove, but they did not know if it was a lube groove or the purpose of the groove.

I will wait until later in the week to talk to Steve, but would like to know which bullets you use.

Rod

I use the 230 RN. I think they do have a lube groove but it is just how they are cast, The Bear Creek bullets don't have any lube in the groove.

Good Luck

John

+1 to Precision bullets (230gr.) and Clays (3.8 to 4.0 gr) in your 625. This combination is clean, accurate, and produces little smoke. N-310 (3.8 to 4.0 gr.) with the Precision 230gr. produces almost no smoke.

Chris