Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Type Of Accuracy Can I Expect...

spetrola

I have a springfield PI9134L 1911 in 9mm. It has had a slide to frame fit and kart match barrel and bushing done to it. I am wondering what is the most I can expect accuracy wise (size of groups) out of this gun? I am wondering how good the gun should shoot. I have shot it on a ransom rest and get 15 round groups that are center to center 1.4" X 1" at 50 feet Is this all I can get out of it or not?

If this is in the wrong forum please let me know.

Thanks to all,

Scott

Scott - That extrapolates to about 4" at 50 yards, which ain't bad. IIRC, you're using FMJs, which are the least accurate design IMO. JHPs over the same load will probably shoot somewhat better. My favorites are the Zeros, but there are other good ones out there. Sierras have an excellent reputation for accuracy, and you can get them in 100 round boxes to try out. I *think* Midway sells the Remington and Winchester JHPs in 100 round bags, if you want to try something you can buy in bulk.

Revchuck,

I am going to switch to Zero JHP's but I still have about 11,000 zero FMJ's left so i need to shoot more so i can get new bullets, yeah thats it i'll tell the girlfriend that these bullets aren't as good and I need to shoot more to get rid of them. And what do you think "somewhat better" is? just curious

Bseevers,

It was outdoors and It was anchored to two of the upright 6x6's that hold up the cover to the range with a 6x6 inbetween them with two 2x6's bolted to them with a 2x12x14" lag bolted with 5 lag bolts on top of that then the ransom rest is bolted to that. I am sure there is no movement in that. I will take some pictures of it on monday and post if you would like.

Thanks again,

Scott

And what do you think "somewhat better" is?
Scott - This is just about impossible to predict. It's even possible that the JHPs might shoot worse. Only your barrel can tell you.

I do remember having a conversation with Jim Clark Sr., and he told me that the 9x19s he built were usually more accurate than .38 Supers. He couldn't explain why.

A few years ago,actully more than a few, I purchased a Springfield armory 9mm 5 in..It didn't shoot groups it shot patterns..My Kel-Tec out shot it..Threw the barrel away and put in a Nowlan tube and it is wonderfull.. Well worth the money..

I have found the 9mm to be a bit harder to find a accurate load then either the 38 super or the 45 acp.. Don't know why..

My PI9134L would not group so I sent it back to Springfield. Dave Williams had them replace the bushing, and it went from 3.5" (10-shots) at 25 in a Ransom Rest to under 1.5"

SA says they should do 3.5 to 3" at 25yds. with factory ammo. He said they should really do better then that. I should have mine back this week.

Sounds to me like yours is doing pretty good. But, if it is fitted with a Kart, and tightened I would think it should do better.

Try different ammo, and loads. I'm sure it'll shoot. Most guns do like HP's better