Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Large Base Pad For 140mm Mag For Open

Adam B

"It's just easier to buy a 170mm tube."

True unless you shoot Paras. No 170mm tubes to fit ParaOrdnance guns are currently being made. An alternative if you really want a 170mm tube is to take STI or SPS 170 mm tubes welded up and recut for Para's mag catch. Or, if you are starting your magazine collection from scratch, you could just get a gunsmith to alter your magazine catch for the STI tube.

In my case, I've got a dozen old style (shorter than current manufacture) Para magazines. For me, an Ammosmith or other extended basepad may make sense.

Bill

"Or just welding a couple of Para tubes together."

I'm trying to work up enough nerve to try this. Just found a good TIG welder yesterday. He did a stainless steel repair for me yesterday and did an excellent job.

When told about my Para tubes, he said he would be glad to give it a try. Just hate to cut up two working tubes for a science fair project that may or may not work.

Have you worked with two Para tubes welded together? If so, what is the final length of the new tube and how many rounds will it hold? How well did it work?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Bill

When I did shoot a Para-ish type pistol (Entreprise Arms) it was setup for Limited. After that, I just ran STI/SV pistols. See makin' life easy....

That being said, this isn't the first time someone has done it nor, the last. As for dimensions, well take the length of a stock tube say, minus 1/4" for what gets off to continue the straight part, add the depth of the basepad from where it attaches to. This number subtracted from 170mm equals what you need.

Rich

• 2 months later...

I just posted the following in this thread:

You might check with Mike Sessa (aka. BustOff) at BustOff@comcast.net.

He has successfully cut & welded numerous rifle and subgun magazines. I have one for a full-auto M11 which has worked flawlessly for me. Getting something that holds 58 rounds and still feeds on full-auto is pretty impressive. I had to look closely to find the weld. You would just have to make sure he knows you want as close to 170mm without going over.

I imagine you could get 32 or 33 in a para tube.

IMHO, the gap between the basepad and the magazine will be the problem area in a 30mm basepad design. one location for the follower to get caught up on. I'm sure the spring pressure at that point is strong enough to get past that gap but if it wasn't a problem, we should have seen a few in production already. this is in relation to a 1911 variant design. can't explain why it won't get hung up on a glock :mellow:

Edited by yoshidaex

the ribs on the side keep the follower from rolling over in the mag. If youkeep stuffing with a +2 dawson some times the follower rolls and the mag goes-"Full Pezz" like a salt shaker.

I put the aridondo inserts in all my Dawson + 2 base pads and the mags work reliably now.

the 170's are not broken , ? why try to fix them?