Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Following A Speed Demon

Micah

Last night at a local club shoot, I noticed something that I was doing that I thought I was rid of for some time.

After diligent study, and reading Saul's newest book, I make it a point not to watch the shooter before me run the stage. I do this to avoid either a)Watching him/shoot it differently, and well, than from what my plan originally was, or b)Watching him/her shoot poorly (aka miss long steel over and over) thus burning that image into my subconscious.

My error was watching an open shooter run through the three string course of fire, and thinking "Hell, I can shoot that fast!" For the first time since the Western PA match, I drilled a no-shoot, not once or twice, but thrice <_<

This was a valuable reminder to me that I need to remember that I am shooting PRODUCTION, not Open. Instead of allowing my sights to be the speedometer last night, I allowed the speed-demon that lives inside the timer to get the best of me.

Something else...a bit off topic...I've been dryfiring about 80 minutes a day, which if you use Tru-Grip, WILL rub a hole in your hand, and if you are using a stock Glock mag release, will blister your strong hand thumb. By applying this funk called Bag Balm BB Site my hand has been able to heal up rather quickly and allow me to continue to dryfire :D

Always shoot your game. Watch other shoot, but keep an objective eye on what they did and how they performed. I have taken stage plans from D shooters that others ignored because it was a D shooters plan and therefore the time was slow...but the plan was good! I have also ignored master class plans if I thought they were reaching a bit talentwise. Focusing on someone elses cadence without knowing the actual performance is deadly to your scores...yeah he might have done it fast, but were the hits there?

Never be afraid to ask the RO if you can be moved a couple of places down in the line-up, if you don't want to follow a particular shooter.

All he can say is ............. Sure, OK. Or he may even ask why? But I highly doubt they would ever say NO. ;)

I like the allow the sights to be the speedometer. :) That's good. I can also feel for you with your hand situation. I have started using a hand lotion daily something I needed to do a long time ago but until it started affecting my shooting, never did.

Don't ask me...I'll just call you names and make fun of you. :)
We already make fun of him? :o

Flex, just don't be like Paul and call my Bullet Bag gay because it matches my gear :D

It's METRO

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

Sometime I've found that shooting with better shooters can help you raise your game. You get exposed to better ideas and your range of what's possible on a stage is expanded. Also, if you're like me and shoot too many points, just hearing a faster cadence gets you primed to a better pace.