Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ar-15 Shorty Is Tied Up

ErikW

My AR-15 shorty won't go into battery. (After a few rounds of firing today.) Consequently, I can't break it open to remove the carrier and have a look at the bolt and cam, which is where I suspect the problem is.

The carrier moves back and forth freely, but stops about .25" from in battery. The forward assist doesn't do the trick.

The chamber is empty and the lockup area is as free of foreign matter as I can get it under the circumstances.

How can I even get this thing apart to diagnose the problem? Remove the buffer tube and take the carrier out that way?

Yea, push both pins out and ease the upper forward off the lower. There's a blown primer in there somewhere; barrel extension, charging handle channel, gas tube or carrier spigot, behind the bolt lugs on the off side, or in the cam pin hole.

Let us know where, you may have found a new spot for primers to cause havoc.

Of course, take it apart with both pins, what was I thinking? Of course, I was shooting Federal brass with primer pockets so loose I dabbed nail polish on them. But there was no primer. I used a cleaning pick on a suspicious spot in the barrel extension (locking lug recesses, whaddaya call that?) and that was it. A tiny piece of carbon or something. (Carbonized nail polish?)

My AR-fu is weak after being away from 3 gun.

A lot of the High Power folks at my local club do that with Federal brass too. Kind of in jest, I once asked a local Hi-Master if he thought the primer-piercing loads he uses at 6hunnert might have something to do with the loosey-goosey primer pockets after re-loading them a few times and he just smiled ;-)

It is known that Fed brass has that tendency. I won't touch the stuff in an AR for this very reason. A spent primer floating around inside the action is no fun at all :-(