Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sidesaddle Question

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I was reviewing the rules and wanted to know what y'all would think about trying to mount a Progressive 4 round or cut down Choate 3 round shotgun shell holder to the side of a shotgun. My thinking was that I'm pretty slow at both grabbing shells individually and reaching for a bunch on my belt- so why not combine the two? According to USPSA rules:

5.2.4 Ammunition and speed loading devices, must be carried or worn

on the competitor in safely designed pouches, pockets, loops,

clips or other suitable retention devices unless otherwise specified

in the course description. Loops or clips fitted to the shotgun

stock, fore-end or receiver, or to a sling fitted to the shotgun, to

hold individual cartridges are specifically allowed.

But; in the Standard Manual description:

28. Additional cartridge loops or clips, specifically including side saddles, may

be fitted to the stock, fore-end, receiver or sling (providing they do not compromise

any safety issues).

Note it does not specify individual clips.

What do you all think? I usually don't try to toe the line in any way, and am not a gamer by any means, but simply would like to try a way to accomodate my shortcomings. Thanks for any opinions you can give.

• 4 months later...

If your asking opinons, take all you side saddles and toss'em. use speed loaders and practice. Think about how much time you waste grabbing one shell at a time vs. 3-4 at a time. I always love to see those guys that have all these bandaliers full of shells, they should stuff a few in their boony hat too. :D

I think anything that allows shells to be mounted to your gun, as long as it doesn't compromise safety, should be good to go. Just look at that newly invented "tube" thing I saw advertised in the last "Front Sight".

Just try to keep the shells as close to the loading port as possible. The time wasted is the time used to go to where your shells are located, then back to the loading port. The closer the two positions are together, the better. Side saddles work excellent if you load strong hand. I use four round CCW carriers mounted on the Mark Otto Chest carrier, then switch to Progressive Machine and Tool 6 rounders mounted on the belt. My times are better when loading from the chest carrier only because my hand doesn't go so far to grab more shells.

As far as one loading method being faster than another. The fastest is the open guys using speedloaders, but I have seen Benny loading strong hand one at a time, and Kurt Miller loading weakhand four at a time. They don't give up much time to the open shooters. I haven't seen one of the Saiga magazine fed shotguns before so I can't comment on those.

I resemble that remark. I load one at a time off of a side saddle & very rarely am beat at shooting & LOADING my benelli. I'm getting ready for the pepsi challenge.

How much Pepsi can you drink? And shoot at the same time?

I resemble that remark. I load one at a time off of a side saddle & very rarely am beat at shooting & LOADING my benelli. I'm getting ready for the pepsi challenge.

Probably all the pepsi that heavy metal shooter owns. Show up a waco on the 14th for 10 stages of shotgun & let the best loader win.

• 3 months later...

Probably all the pepsi that heavy metal shooter owns. Show up a waco on the 14th for 10 stages of shotgun & let the best loader win.

Don't get me wrong, I could use speed loaders in an open gun and still couldn't beat you. I guess I try to be like Killer Miller. You know he can stuff'em in faster than alot of guys, Thats the only reason why I think its better. :cheers: