Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need A Little Help

penman53

I just bought a SV custom and I am having some reliability issues that concern me.

1. It failed to feed the round completly into the chamber. (heavier recoil spring fixed this I hope)

2. Firing pin fails to ignite the primer. Most times if I pull the hammer back and fire again, it ignites the primer and the round fires. (gunsmith removed and polised the firing pin, there was a slight burr on it according to him). It still misfires almost as much though still.

3. Most times when the last round is fired, it fails to lock the slide back into the open position.

This gun is a nail driver when it shoots but I am concerned that I have bought something that is going to cause me problems on top of problems.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Mark

The OAL is right within the Speer Specs, this gun has done it on both reloaded and factory ammunition.

All of the primers are seated correctly, and it does it with factory ammunition also.

Why would you not want to slide to lock back on the last round?

I am a rookie so please bear with me but I don't understand the slide not locking back on the last round deal. How would you know when your out of ammo?

Why would you not want to slide to lock back on the last round?

I am a rookie so please bear with me but I don't understand the slide not locking back on the last round deal. How would you know when your out of ammo?

The first trick is you don't run out of ammo, for IPSC anyway. You plan your reloads ahead of time and be aware of your consumption as you're going. I don't know about IDPA as I've never done that. As to why not lock the slide back... here's some reading. http://www.brazoscustom.com/Home.htm The link may not take you straight there so go to "tips and Tricks" then it's the bottom link.

Good luck!

John

Edited by John Kane

Alot of these s_i guns work better with a long OAL, out of spec OAL

sounds like light primer strikes, do a seach on this, should give you alot of things to check.

If you fix the slide from locking back, it should not lock back when you dont want it to!

and should not allow you to over insert the mag causing the ejector to brake or jam the slide back ( not letting the slide move forward because the mag is in to far )

The gun SHOULD feed rounds with a very light spring, so when you say they rds aren't fully chambering...AND you're getting light primer strikes...my first guess would be your reloaded ammo is binding up in the barrel's chamber (crimped too much causing a bulge, resizing die not sizing the whole case), and then when the firing pin hits, it pushed the case fwd a little and robs the energy to ignite the primer.

But you say factory ammo does it also....hmm.

Does any of this ammo drop into the chamber alone? When you have the bbl taken out of the gun, can you "plop" loaded ammo in the chamber and does it headspece (go all the way in) without a push?

Make sure the chamber in the barrel is free of crap. Take bore-brush, put a little Hoppes on it, chuck it into a drill motor and low-rpm clean that sucker for 10 seconds, let it sit for a few minutes then low prm clean it again. Finish with dry patches.

1. Are you busing pick up brass if so you might have so glock brass that is buldged at the botton keeping it from going all the way in a EGW sizing die will take care of that

2. Are you sure you are using pistol primers and not rifle that could cause a different strike..

If it is an SV with the removable breech face check to see if it is tight. Take it apart and clean the breech face and lock nut and put one small drop of blue Locktite on it and reassemble it. While you have it apart put a long SV firing pin in it and you troubles will be eliminated.

I have 4 SV piststol and do this to every one I buy before I shoot it. Since I have started doing this I have not had a light strike on a primer.