Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hand Conditioning

IronEqualizer

I started dry firing A LOT about 3 months ago and worked through the initial pain and blisters and built up some nice calluses to protect my hands. Now the weather is turning cooler and my hands have a tendency to dry out. My hands have cracked open in a few spots over the past month and I started using lotion to keep them from drying out. Well yesterday I had my right hand split in a crease where it hit my ambi safety. Today during dry fire I hit the same spot and it took a chunk out of my hand. So now I don't know if my hands are too soft or what. I still have the calluses but they don't feel as hard as they were. Right now I am all taped up like a frigging boxer so I can finish dry firing. I am sick of this happening and need a cure. Any advice will be truly appecaited.

I have real dry skin also, and suffer thru hard cracked skin.

first if your not using laytex or nitrile gloves while cleaning guns, start.

the solvents will dry out your hands, if you think about it, any chemical that can remove metal from metal can't be good for your skin, I don't care what the label says.

2nd, get to wal mart and and pick up Nexcare skin crack care. it's a kind of liquid bandage that you apply over the painful cracked skin, and seals it. allowing the crack to heal quickly. also get the Nexcare advanced skin cream, it's thebest hand lotion I've found for super dry skin, and trust me, I've tried them all.

Edited by rishii

Hello; I would also look into the lotions they use on horses and cows. They make some for saddle sores etc. Go to a Pet store and see what they have. Our Petsmart here has alot of horse stuff. You could also look at leather conditioner as well. It worked on my hands when I was cleaning the leather car seats and conditioning them. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric

My wife has really dry skin and has literally tried EVERYTHING. Someone told her to try Bag Balm. It's used on cow udders. It works like nothing else ever has.

Personally, I just chop my guns up so that there isn't anything left to cut into my hands. And sometimes just for the sake of chopping on something. :P

Chris

• 2 weeks later...