Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safariland 771 Or 773 Ss Mag Pouches?

unclez

Decided on the Safariland 771 or 773 pouches for my single stack but not sure which to get. The 773 looks like it would be great for double stacks but I'm not sure how they would work for single stacks. Anyone using either of these for their SS mags?

Zack

Decided on the Safariland 771 or 773 pouches for my single stack but not sure which to get. The 773 looks like it would be great for double stacks but I'm not sure how they would work for single stacks. Anyone using either of these for their SS mags?

Zack

I shot L-10 with a .45 SS for about 2 years. I used the 771 pouches. They worked fine!

Later,

Chuck

My personal experience has been that the 771 is not as secure as the 773. Having said that I currently have the 771 and will be replacing them with 773 soon. The reason is that the open front of the 771 sometimes lets you knock a mag out on stages with lots of movement. I primarily compete in three gun matches where there is a lot going on and if you bump a mag with anything it pops out. I have experimented by cutting a 2inch piece of bicycle innertube and slipping it from the bottom up over the mag holder and it does help keep them in. What happens is the mag rotates forward thru the slot if you bump it and it is sprung back in to the holder by the rubber. I have not lost a mag since my fix but have been aware of nocking them on several occasions. And no it is not because I need more tension with the adjustment screws. In fact the more tension I put on the screw the more it tends to push them out the front. I have both single stack and double stack varieties of the 771 and both are subject to this.

Arrrgh... just when you think you've found the perfect product someone has to go and give an honest opinion of it. :o j/k

Anybody else experience this with the 771's? I'm not shooting 3-gun but there is a possibility of bumping them though.

I have proven in the past that I am fully capable of dropping anything attached to me but do not recall loosing any .45 (10 round) mags in over 42 L-10 matches. I don't do 3 gun so I can not comment on that. There must be some reedeming qualities since our host has this comment on his store page:

"771 Competition Mag Pouch

Safariland's original open-front competition mag pouch is still my favorite for 10 round single-stack mags."

Later,

Chuck

My experience is that you just add a little tension on the rollers, and they retain mags just fine. Shooting a speed shoot w/ a mandatory reload? You can loosen the tension some to give you a real sweet release. My 773s end up w/ the same or more tension on them, in the end.

Note, I have to cut either pouch down just a bit so that they don't interfere w/ my ability to grab the mag - mainly just roll off the top front corner to a nice round curve... Easily done w/ a belt sander or dremel...

I've been using the 771s for my single stack mags for some time now and I'm very pleased with them. The only time I had an issue with the mags popping out is when I set the mags at an extreme angle. Even then, they would only come out when bending over to set steel, pick up brass, etc. I don't think I ever had one come loose during a stage. I would recommend replacing the stock tension screws with the Prairie control knobs. Brownell's has them here. Here is a picture of a 771 with an 10-round mag, a 771 with an 8-round mag, and a 773 with a HK USP double-stack mag.

Mags.jpg

Ordered the 771's and received them a couple of days ago. Very well made and I really can't see how the mags could easily fall out. The only thing I see is the tension screws may need some loctite to retain them as when they are adjusted to where I get a smooth release the screws feel like they could back out really easy. Or maybe instead of loctite, just remove the washer at the head of the screw and replace it with a rubber o-ring to help retain it.

Thanks for the info on these.

Zack