Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Changing Direction-questions!

Dave73

In the interest of simplifying my life I'm selling my STI 2011 Edge.40 and switching to the Glock 35. I'd like to dabble in limited, limited 10 and production. I assume that in production you are limited to certain modifications but my questions are can you change trigger weight, length of pull and modify the grip.

Should I forgo Production and modify the trigger weight, length of pull or just leave it and shoot a stock trigger? I started shooting USPSA 20 years ago using a stock Glock 17 but migrated to the 1911 platform and have been out of competitive shooting for awhile now but I'm itching to get back into competitive pistol shooting again. I've purchased a Glock 35 and have already changed sights to a set from Dawson's. I have big hands and would like to do something with the grip as well so help me out and give me some advice.

Looking forward to hearing from y'all!

Thanks!

Anything you change to the exterior of the gun such as re-shaping the grip will eliminate production as one of your choices. You can do pretty much whatever you want to the inside for trigger work. You might consider leaving everything alone for a little while since you are getting into a new gun. You've already changed the sights, so you should be set.

I would certainly purchase a Glock 35 if you are wanting to play in Prod, Limited, and L10.

In Production, trigger pull does not matter. What DOES matter is any exterior modifications to the gun, like magwells, grip reductions...even modified triggers if there is a visable change on the outside. You may change the sights, but fiber optics are the limit. No C-MORE's or the like are allowed.

Here's a link the USPSA rulebook PDF Linky***

I have to ask...what prompted this dynamic shift for you?

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

Thanks guy's for the responses. Pharaoh, to answer your question I'm getting older, I have too many "safe queens" and my agency is most likely going to transition to the G22 so parts, mags, ammo, etc will be available and last, I don't have the time anymore to practice to get beyond hopefully Master class. I realize the STI is a better weapon but maybe someone else will get more enjoyment out of it than I will.

Anyone have any suggestions on a holster for the G35? I thought I'd try Kydex but is anyone making a holster for that length of slide?

If I purchase a 9mm barrel such as a KKM to drop in my G35 don't I also have to change the extractor?

When I converted my 35 to a 9mm, I changed the extractor and mine worked just fine. One thing you might want to think about, if you want to shoot the converted glock in USPSA competition, it may not be truely legal. The 9mm conversion barrel is heavier than a true 9mm barrel due to the increased external barrel diameter. I doubt that anyone would ever question it, but it is a fact.

You maight try a minor power factor in 40 caliber. It shoot really soft.

Dave C

If I purchase a 9mm barrel such as a KKM to drop in my G35 don't I also have to change the extractor?

When I converted my 35 to a 9mm, I changed the extractor and mine worked just fine. One thing you might want to think about, if you want to shoot the converted glock in USPSA competition, it may not be truely legal. The 9mm conversion barrel is heavier than a true 9mm barrel due to the increased external barrel diameter. I doubt that anyone would ever question it, but it is a fact.

You maight try a minor power factor in 40 caliber. It shoots really soft.

Dave C

Dave73-

I did the same thing you are considering about a year ago. Needed to make a school payment for son so I sold my SV and dug out my personal Glock 22 (ended up buying a 2nd G22 later on). I'm LEO as well and carry a Glock 22 at work. The interesting thing is that I have lost nothing switching from the SV/STI to a G22. My class percentage has actually gone up. I honestly believe I shoot the G22 better than I did my SV.

I run two G22's. One is set up for Limited / Limited 10 / IDPA ESP. Heinie slant pro rear with Dawson FO front sight blacked out (long story). KKM bbl. Trigger job by local smith @ about 2lbs. THE tungsten guide rod. 15lb ISMI spring. JP aluminum mag well. Eric's TruGrip Tape.

My second G22 is my back up gun and my production / IDPA SSP gun. Same sights as above (change to Truglo FTO sights for IDPA), same trigger as above, same grip tape, factory bbl and guide rod. No mag well.

Holster is a Cendex Kydex.

You should shoot a G22 and G35 before going with the G35. I shot both first (friends) and even shot some stages. I really liked the G22 over the G35 for a bunch of reasons. Give it a try before you commit to one. Also if you are going to get a G22 at work, the G22 may make more sense for games.

Good luck,

Nick-