Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1st Blown Match

BigDave

While some might find this odd, I am happy to report I had my first match where I totally fell apart.  I figure that I knew that this was going to happen at some point during my IPSC career, but I didn't think that last Sunday would be that day.

Out of the five stages, I only shot 1 clean with no mikes. One stage with 10 paper targets, I missed two completely.  Well, I didn't miss, I just flat didn't engage. The next stage I didn't engage the hidden poper (which would have been an otherwise great stage.  I was fast and had lots of A's and only 2 C's).  The classifier I totally fell apart.  Lots of hardcover and just blew it (I think 5 mikes total)

Why am I happy, you ask?  Well, after reflecting, I know EXACTLY what went wrong at every single stage and every shot.  Brian - I rushed.  Flat out.  I wasn't calling my shots, no follow though and no stage preperation.  I decided that I can't be mad at myself.  This was only my 4th match and I shot the previous three matches very well, for a beginner.  However, I would be very mad if I didn't understand what I did and what it will take to fix it.  It was a complete mental breakdown and lack of focus.  But, I know now where the bottom of my ability is and I need to practice to bring myself up.

BigDave,

You know, sometimes we just have really, really bad days. Who knows, maybe the planets were not ligned up just right for you. I've had days where I just can't seem to figure out what the hell is going on. And, I know these mysterious days can be especially magnified if I am feeling the slightest bit overconfident.

be

BigD,

Humbling experience isn't it??  I hate to be the one to tell you this, but this is just the first day of many :-)

IPSC shooting is an amazing journey of self discovery and your own skills and abilities - including the ability to totally mess it all up!

You'll notice in other threads, the question - How to stop Brain Fade and How to hold it all together during a big match...

Here's hoping you have more good days than bad!!!!

Dave, I understand your feeling too.   Failure sometimes feels like a hard smack on cold face.  It burns, it stings, it can make one feel embarassed.   But, as you have wisely discerned, among the great instructors in life, she has no equal.

Sometimes we are awarded with trophies. Other times we are awared with catastrophies.   It is good, I think, to keep a special room where each can be fondly remembered.