Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why Is Most 40 Brass Nickel?

steel1212

Like Rob said, it depends on your source.

Most brass is unplated, works just fine, and is less expense to the manufacturer. Nickel brass originally was, I think, an anticorrosion measure. Some premium ammo comes nickelled, but it does not improve ballistics in any way.

Much brass that we buy once fired, as noted above, comes from police ranges, where they fire, as a matter of policy, their carry load or the ballistic equivalent. That's often a premium brand, which might come in a nickelled case. Come qualification day, all that gets swept up from the range that ends up being bought by you will be from the same load from the same manufacturer, and that might be almost all yellow brass or all nickelled brass.

From a reloading point of view, the nickelled brass seems to take less lube, but tends to split a bit sooner than yellow brass.

Kevin C.

• 3 weeks later...

Most duty ammo has nickel cases just my agency issues. We carry the RP Golden Saber with a nickel case for duty ammo but use the UMC/RP for training etc... I figure we buy about 40M of the JHP and around 500M of the FMJ per cycle. Not all agencies do this. I've seen the Feds buy nothing but duty ammo for everything. When they use our range we see them shooting Hydra-Shoks and whatever else they carry for everything. I once new a Fed that would show up to local USPSA matches to shoot his STI with Federal Hydra-Shoks. That's all they had...

The nickel has corrosion resistance but are more brittle for numerous reloads. I had a 5 gallon bucket of RP nickel .40 brass years ago that I kept for matches as I wasn't getting 4 reloads from the nickel brass that seemed to split more often than brass....

Mick

A27257

Most duty ammo has nickel cases just like my agency issues. We carry the RP Golden Saber with a nickel case for duty ammo but use the UMC/RP for training etc... I figure we buy about 40M of the JHP and around 500M of the FMJ per cycle. Not all agencies do this. I've seen the Feds buy nothing but duty ammo for everything. When they use our range we see them shooting Hydra-Shoks and whatever else they carry for everything. I once knew a Fed that would show up to local USPSA matches to shoot his STI with Federal Hydra-Shoks. That's all they had...

The nickel has corrosion resistance but are more brittle for numerous reloads. I had a 5 gallon bucket of RP nickel .40 brass years ago that I kept for matches as I wasn't getting 4 reloads from the nickel brass that seemed to split more often than brass....

Mick

A27257

So much for spell check and grammar....

Nickel brass originally was, I think, an anticorrosion measure

Just read, recently, that nickel-plating cartridge casings was started in the 1870s, because if ammo was kept in leather loops on leather gun-belts for long periods of time, the acids (tannic?) in the leather would corrode the casings.

Modern-day, the common belief is that nickel plated casings, being "slicker", extract more easily and are therefore more reliable... hence (I'm told) the reason that a lot of the more expensive "defensive loads" come in nickel casings.

B