Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Match #2

GMyers

I went to my second IDPA match this past Saturday and did alright, I suppose, for a newbie.  I placed 3rd in MM-CDP, but I must say that it was not a large class.  My time was just over 128 seconds for the 5 stages.  What I am proud of is that I was only 1 point down for the entire match!  I dropped that 1 point on the 3rd stage and to my surprise finished the last 2 stages clean.  A major mental milestone!

Thanks everyone, for all of the great advise!

When you practice visualization be sure to run through all the sights, sounds. smells etc that you experienced during the match and also add performance and strategy improvements.  This will store in your mind a "success memory search" that you can call upon in your future matches to prime your (subconcious) mind to shoot well.  In other words you can train yourself to repeat what you did mentally and physically.  It can be just like live fire practice physically and it's better than live fire mentally.

I've noticed a definite pattern to improving during competitive shooting...

First - you're extremely accurate but a little slow.

Second - while trying to "speed up" and be more competitive you'll lose the accuracy (FRUSTRATION HERE!)

Third - you slow down a little to increase your accuracy - this is where you'll start feeling the "competitive urge", you'll start nudging into "placing" - but this stage is also fraught with frustration, it's TOUGH to find the right balance of speed and accuracy!

Fourth - this is where it all comes together!  In IPSC this is about high B class, low A class.  I'm not sure how IDPA does their "classes", but they should have similar levels.

The time it takes to move through these stages varies by individual - I'm still in stage 2 and i've been doing this for 4 years...

IF you keep these observations in the back of your brain during your shooting career, hopefully you'll be able to decrease the frustration by remembering that EVERYONE went through this just like you!

Cool post Shooter Grrl.

I can relate to the frustration at level 2. Just went to level 3 and you are right, it can be frustrating as well. I think the key in level 2 and 3 is to manage the frustration level. I think the people who move smoothly through these levels to level 4 have the ability to put it all together inspite off the frustration or they just don't get frustrated (damn, to many frustrations there). It is also easy to bounce back and forth between 2 and 3. The difference between 2 and 3 is slight.

Any input from someone who made it to 4? I think I'm close but that adds frustration too...... lol

• 3 months later...

I think I'm in stage 1a... I started by happily blastin' away, and not hitting s&%t, and being beaten (in IDPA) by some paaaiiiinnnfffuuully slow shooters. I have only recently slowed enough to become pretty accurate, usually fewest points down in my class. Shooting a match "clean" is something to be proud of, IMHO. I have recently taken some coaching (a half-day clinic from Bobby Spradlin, an IPSC shooter). There was definitely some gold in there regarding fast reloads and target transition. I had no clue about this stuff, and I can't see how it wouldn't be helpful in any action pistol game.

Definitely money well spent.