Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Again!

Nemo

Before the sky starts falling, let's put things into perspective. A 7,000 lb piston engine twin moving at 180 mph with maybe 150 gallons of gas is in a different universe from a 500 mph, 400,000 lb, fuel-laden airliner. Even if it was a terrorist attack, they would need nearly 400 light aircraft to match the kinetic energy one airliner.

Finally, most light piston twins are NOTORIOUS for poor performance with one engine out. The usual grim joke is that the remaining engine extends the glide path to the crash site...which is VERY likely the cause of this accident: someone trying to drag in a plane that's near gross weight on one engine.

Which is why people that force-land sick airplanes at the earliest opportunity tend to have longer lifespans than those that try to hero-or-zero them into the airport.

Edited by EricW

Thanx Sargenv for the e-mail! There was enough info posted in the news websites 5 minutes after I started the thread to clarify what was going on.

It seems to be an accident. Let's hope there are not too many dead or injured and that nobody was sitting in those living rooms.

There's a TV in the emergency ops conference room and they were watching. FDNY already had one of the floors under control. Probably the fire is out as I type.

Firefighters, again running in when everybody else is running out.

Wow, my heart was skipping, from the time I read the first post to the time I got to CNN...it's weird once things are in perspective and you can say in your head, "it's not that bad, not like before." There needs to be a "stare smily," he'd be here... :o

And the plot thickens...

Edited by A-shot