Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finding the positive

Shooter Grrl

While driving home Sunday I was tired and grumpy and whiny (yes, really!) :-)

So David said "Brian says you need to find positive stuff in a bad situation".  (Which was way better than his usual statement when I get in that mood

So I stopped and I thought and I actually really found positive moments and skills to remember and realized that, as usual, our host really does know what he's talking 'bout!

First stage was a VC Strong Hand/Weak Hand with a reload stage.  8 targets total 4 on either side of a barricade.  I shot the strong hand side so well that Erik's jaw dropped!  I lost the dot on the weak hand side, but now I know what to practice this week.

The second stage was another Speed Shoot.  8 targets spread around 2 big wagon wheels - fairly good distances between them - 1 shot each, reload then 1 more each.

I had been practicing big swings, (slowing down the gun and not "driving through the targets) and indexing targets all week - paid off big time on this stage :-)

So there's my accomplishments for the week - I was actually able to overcome my whininess and find good things to remember in a pretty ucky shooting weekend.

Shooter Grrl,

Sorry about the bad experience you had. You will find matches from time to time that do not follow the rules. He!!, some time they don't even come close. Sue & I have finally discovered a way to not let these stages spoil our shooting experience. We look at a stage & if it doesn't follow any rules known to mankind, we just look at one another and say ROTD (pronounced rot-ed) That means Rules Of The Day. We then just shoot the match under those rules & have fun. We joke about how bad it is. All our friends do the same. We have talked about having hats & t-shirts made up to wear to certain matches. When we can do something about it we do. Such as taking a new stage designer aside and explaining a few things to them. Sometimes you just have to speak with your dollars and shoot elsewhere. So just remember, ROTD, shoot & have fun. Any time spent shooting is better than time spent at the mall.

Bill Nesbitt

OK, I'll play...

I was one of a few people to hit the bonus target (3 seconds off your time was the Rule Du Jour) through the heart-shaped opening in the steel on the 47 yard stage. I did it with my first shot after going prone. Even most of the foo-foo guns weren't hitting it. I got all my hits on the three other targets that far out, shooting iron sights faster than I shot a C-More at shorter range.

(I still can't thank BE et al. enough for making me hold the gun into the carpet while shooting prone. What a difference!)

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm looking for the positive.  I won't bore everyone with my negative rant on one of the local clubs.  But on the positive side it must just annoy the hell out of certain people within that club when I win.  Neener, neener, neener!  

Other positive things, I just got my Racegun slot from that club, of course I found out second hand from our SC when he asked for my mailing address.

Also on the positive side, my knee now feels like only one icepick is lodged under my kneecap instead of two.  My bloodpressure is now low enough that it doesn't pop the top off the cuff and 3 Tagamet tablets a day almost keep my heartburn under control.   And since my bloodpressure is better I only have to take 6 Advil's a day for my migraines.

Yup, it's looking brighter all the time.  Now where did I put my Glaucoma medicine?