Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5-50 Standards

sincityshooter

Just went out and practiced 5-50 Standards for the Nationals.  I wasn't sure on the distances between 5 and 50 so I shot strong hand at 30y and set the reload string at 20y.  I was consistently between 19.30 and 20.  It was not a good day at the 50y mark.  I just couldn't keep it steady.  I dropped an average of 8 points from that distance.  I did manage a 1.3 weakhand draw for an A of course.

I shot strong hand 25 yds and the reload string at 15 yds - points were good at 103, time was long at 38 - but I had a 19.38 weak hand string due to a death jam.  I'm going to be able trust my skills at the Nationals though - and that was my goal!  To make sure that I COULD do it!

I'm also interested in familiarizing myself with "5-50stds".  Wasn't this shot at FGN?  What are the distances for the middle two boxes,..15 & 30??

This stage, being the only one in which weak-hand is mandated, beckons us to practice it.

No, it wasn't shot at the FGN's. The standards there were fixed-time with partial targets at 25 - 10 yds. (I think they were originally supposed to be 30 - 15yds.)

I haven't seen distances for the RGN's posted anywhere. I would have guessed 50, 25, 15 & 5. But, I really don't know. I think the longest strong/weak classifier is Merle's standards with strong hand at 20yds & weak hand at 15yds.

OK, I see they've posted distances now.  50, 25, 15 & 5 yds.

Hey, I guessed right. Now, if I can only shoot them as well as I can guess their distances... ;)

I agree.  The 1st 2 strings are most important due to their difficulty.

I guess I'll go out and practice it with the correct distance.  I agree that the 5y weak hand string is a no brainer.  You can point shoot at that distance and get all A's.  The other 3 strings can be tough depending on how you shoot them.  The 15y string might be handled a little carelessly.  

I would take that any day.  I'm not that great at the 50y line.  I was getting my hits, but I was leaving that position down 6-10 points.  It didn't matter if I took 4 seconds or 5 seconds to finish the string.  I was averaging around 18 seconds and 100-105 points.  Not the best, but I know this is a trouble spot for me... that explains why I considered going prone.  

I think you should push your strengths and work with your weakness. As you know 5 A's 1 C at 50 in 6.5 sec are better than 3 C's and 3 D's in 5.0

This was at the limit of my ability and I am real curious to see if I can pull it off again in next practice much less at Nats. I would be real happy to get this next week. I am having trouble with strong hand!! I am shooting too fast not letting sight settle, its really far for SH

I'm aware that time isn't the factor.  I went out and shot some more distance today and did better.  Some days I have it some days forget it.  Strong hand at 25 yards is all in the grip.  I find that if I get a good grip and the first shot tracks normal, then I can get through the string fairly fast with good hits.  If the grip is a little off, the hits get worse and the time goes up.  I find it hard to readjust the strong hand grip.  

I hope this doesn't happen to anyone, but if you get to the 5y mark and the hits don't add up, it's WORTH taking extra shots.  If you shoot A's then you will gain 5 points every shot.  Yes, I'm aware of the -10 procedural, but it's better than the -15 you lose with a miss.