Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Factory Ammo For 45 Single Stack

Truegent2004

I've just started playing with the Springfield 45 SS that I won at Area 5. I own a a Square Deal for my 40 and I dont want to get another reloader since I wont shoot that much SS.

Most factory 230 gr. ammo will give you a power factor in the mid 180's or higher. A little extreme for me.

Is there any common factory ammo out there that makes major somewhat close to the 165 limit?

Winchester 185 gr.?

Precision Delta 230 gr?

Other?

Thanks in advance

Check out Wolf's new line of brass cased stuff, it is a lot cleaner and I have been running it in 9mm, .40s&w and 45acp with great results.

http://www.wolfammo.com/Wolf_Ammo_Catalog2006.pdf

Their 185gr jhp is rated at 935fps so it should make Power factor just fine. I have not chrono'd it yet but is has functioned flawless in my Nowlin 1911.

I ran the 147gr jhp in my CZ SP01 and it ran great, and I am using the .40s&w right now in my Para 16-40 fior about 700 flawless rounds, it has been very accurate as well.

Surprisingly enough, the factory ammo I have found that is closest to the correct power factor is Wolf 230-gr. ball (the newer gray-colored stuff which they say has a "polymer" coating, whatever the hell that is).

I shot it the last two years at the Single Stack Classic, it chronoed 169 p.f. in 2005 and 173 p.f. in 2006, both times out of my 5" Springfield with stock SA barrel. That's perfect.

I bought a large quantity of the Wolf stuff awhile back when it was really cheap, and in thousands of rounds, I've never had the slightest problem with it. I'm down to my last case, and when it runs out I'll probably just shoot my own reloads again, as the price of Wolf ammo has gone up quite a bit.

I'll admit, I get a bit of glee leaving behind steel cases at "lost brass" matches.....