Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Improving The Strong Focusing On The Weak

Odie

Lately I've been spending 90% of my training effort on strictly my weak areas. It seems, though, when I come back and touch on something where I'm strong, I see an improvement there as well. Is this some sort of passive improvement, or simply an improvement because of a higher confidence level due to shooting something I'm better at? I guess the question is "can one improve strong areas by practicing the weak?"

Generally no you can’t but it sounds that you just improved your confidence in your total shooting ability. Confidence is a big part of practice. Most people know what to do but aren’t confident enough to do properly. A big part of practice is knowing what you can and can’t do at your level (confidence).

DvC,

Chris Tilley

Lately I've been spending 90% of my training effort on strictly my weak areas. It seems, though, when I come back and touch on something where I'm strong, I see an improvement there as well.

I saw that in my practice too. Whenever I'd spend a couple days training a weak area, like strong or weak hand shooting, I'd notice an improvement in my freestyle shooting as well. I think that's just because you force yourself to operate at a more subtle level when the shooting is more difficult. For example, when shooting weak hand, you become more sensitive to subtle variations of grip pressure, arm and body position. Becoming aware of those factors can't but help when the shooting is "easier."

Another one was practicing for a week or two at very long distances. The things I learned there made shooting close targets sooo much easier.

be