Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Origin Of The Top 16....

carinab

Well, each one of us is a repository of knowledge about where the sport came from and how, in our own little way, we pushed it along...it is a shame that noone seems to care about preserving the history if it all...and it would seem that with as many REAL writers as we have on this forum, that we cannot get BE and all his friends to start putting something together about the earlier years...you know Guy, the ones we remember, when BE was just a kid..LOL NO kidding, I bet if someone like Brian or TGO would call Ray, I bet he would sit down and start putting it on tape at least... :)

Ray did let Nyle go through all his photos from years past a while back, when Nyle's book was still an active project. You're there close to Ray, call him or go visit!

One thing that I have not yet looked at entirely, AGI did an interview with Cooper at the NRA Convention a year or two back, and have it on DVD. I don't know if it will ever be available generally. I think the format is Gene and Jeff reminiscing about past experiences. I'll have to find it and look at it all the way through.

Through the years Nyle and I have seemed to be the main ones interested in preserving the history. I do want to do a book, but wanted Nyle's out first. My understanding is that the Cowboy book Nyle did had fairly poor sales, and since IPSC is smaller, overall, than Cowboy, it is felt there is even less market for a book on IPSC from Nyle's backer. Then there is the general problem of publishers not being interested.

But there is interesting history there that should be saved - preferrably now, while many of the participants are still around.

Guy

Well, I would love to sit for several days or weeks, even, and visit with Ray about shooting in general and his shooting career and those it intersected with, but my training in the job world was looking at pictures for Uncle, plotting troop buildups, etc..I have NO idea about what to ask him or how to get it into a format that is even usable...perhaps, we can interest Duane or Patrick or someone who writes for a living in doing something like that..I would love to go along to help reload the batteries in the recorder or something, but it needs to be someone who will not waste Ray's time and I am afraid I would do just that if I tried....maybe Duane or Patrick would offer something on how to get this going...or even BE...I mean he has a book and several videos out..what do you think? :rolleyes:

I am sorry bud, did not mean to slight your journalistic talents, just meant that you do not make your living by putting pen to paper...I know you are a talented writer ...I have some talent there as well, but mine is tiny compared to most...

I'm not taking any offense - just giving you a hard time. I know I'm not a recognized name. Even when I wrote for one of the newsstand magazines, it was under a pseudonym, so is little reason for anyone to connect my name to writing. Most of my writing has not been for newstand publications.

I do have outlines for some books, and I am doing some work in that direction. No firm commitment from any publishers, so far, though some have voiced interest, but not on one relating the history of practical shooting - yet.

As mentioned earlier, if anyone does wish to relate tales or recollection to me, or have materials they don't want from the past, I would greatly appreciate it being sent to me, at least rather than discarding such items. I can't say it would find its way into a book, but I would hate to see it lost.

Guy

Makes me wonder where are the guys like Dave Wheeler, Ron Learch, Kirk Kirkham and a bunch more.

Wonder if this is the same Dave Wheeler who got married to Lorraine Ferns at the Second Chance match back in the early '90s (not sure they stayed married for long, but I think they remained friendly).....I think he was a cop of some kind from LA??