Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Guess It Had To Happen Sometime

ima45dv8

Been playing this game since February 2000, and managed to DQ myself for the first time tonight. Damn....

We had a stage that used the same start prop as the classifier "Mini Mart". Gun was empty in the "drawer" under the counter and your charge mag was on the counter. The CoF sort of forced you around to the left. On the start signal I was looking at the gun and just as I reached it, I took my eyes away towards the charge mag. Bad idea.

I didn't get a clean grip on the gun and started fumbling it in my strong hand. Since I had already launched to my left, my momentum was carrying along pretty well. Just as I got a good grip on the gun my hand was being snatched to the left by the rest of my body. The back of my thumb hit the left upright that forms the side of the drawer and my hand sort of ricocheted off. That's when my muzzle went past the 180.

I felt it and was trying to comprehend what had just happened when my buddy who was holding the timer said "Stop!". I looked at him and he was nodding in a sad way. I know he hated being the one holding the timer, but it's not his fault. He didn't DQ me......I did.

I stuck around and ran shooters through the stages and even managed to paste a target or two.

If there was any bright spot in all of this, it's that my gun wasn't yet loaded. I felt bad enough for what I did with an empty gun.

Glad to hear it. :)

NO, not that you were DQ'd ............. that you stuck it out, and helped even after all that. Even good shooters can be DQ'd. But it takes a great shooter to be DQ'd and still RO other shooters through the same course of fire. Shows lots of character! Thanks for being a good sport. :rolleyes:

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

I can feel your pain.

I had to give the DQ speach to a fellow shooter and friend after he DQed on a reload, when I had an AD on the draw on the next stage. This happened at the Area 8 this year. Just take it is stride. You are right it is not the RO, it is the shooter.

Carl

Thanks, Chris and Pharoah. I'm flattered by the kind words.

Really, I can't imagine not staying to help. It wasn't their fault.

I would certainly hope that I would be able to stay and help out, but I won't know until it happens. The way I am wired, insults, name calling, threats (obviously I work in corrections) roll right off my back! But EMBARRASSMENT, that is something that I do not deal with very well.

I guess that's just something that I need to come to terms with to make me a better shooter.

*Edited for spelling...Thanks Bob! So now you are good at two things...shooting A's and winning spelling bees ;-)

Edited by Pharoah Bender

Been playing this game since February 2000, and managed to DQ myself for the first time tonight. Damn....

We had a stage that used the same start prop as the classifier "Mini Mart". Gun was empty in the "drawer" under the counter and your charge mag was on the counter. The CoF sort of forced you around to the left. On the start signal I was looking at the gun and just as I reached it, I took my eyes away towards the charge mag. Bad idea.

I didn't get a clean grip on the gun and started fumbling it in my strong hand. Since I had already launched to my left, my momentum was carrying along pretty well. Just as I got a good grip on the gun my hand was being snatched to the left by the rest of my body. The back of my thumb hit the left upright that forms the side of the drawer and my hand sort of ricocheted off. That's when my muzzle went past the 180.

I felt it and was trying to comprehend what had just happened when my buddy who was holding the timer said "Stop!". I looked at him and he was nodding in a sad way. I know he hated being the one holding the timer, but it's not his fault. He didn't DQ me......I did.

I stuck around and ran shooters through the stages and even managed to paste a target or two.

If there was any bright spot in all of this, it's that my gun wasn't yet loaded. I felt bad enough for what I did with an empty gun.

I had my first DQ at the nationals just four days before you had yours. What can you say. This sport is all about safety. We broke the rules and had to pay the price. I know that the RO and RM were just as sick about my stupidity as I was. Well maybe not quite as much, but close........

• 2 weeks later...

Ayuh, welcome to the club.

It does take a lot of good drace to stick around and help out afterward, and everyone will remember that you did (stick around).

There's nothing worse than a poor sport who gets huffy and takes off. You definitely did the right thing. Take a couple minutes, cool off, and then back to the helping.

I did mine in the sandy range on Cape Cod, MA- trying out the Miculek grips on my revolver, I have a lot of dead skin on my hands from working wiht boxes all day- not enough grip on those puppies for my taste! Revolver in sand= old grips back on; and a couple hours with a dental pick to remove grit. :wacko:

As stated, There are those who have, and those that will be....

Welcome to the brotherhood!

Funny, you started playing this game about a year before I DQ'd myself for the first time. :)

It was a harsh lesson, but apparently I didn't learn it too well. Learned it again about six months later. :o

I can laugh at myself now, but the memories are still somewhat chilling. Luckily, the safety was on and functional both times.

Liota