Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Return & Recovery

bomgrene

Whilst enjoying a rainy and dreary day at the range (indoor) today, I noticed something x-tra spiffy about a half hour into my shooting. The gun kept returning to the same position after each shot! The sight alignment was almost perfect too! Even better, I shaved a tenth of my splits by the end of the day. I think I found my netural grip! A big thanks to everyone here for the tips and to Brian for that most excellent written resource.

Now if only I could make my wife understand why this is so freakin' cool... :)

That's ok Rufus, I don't want to know how to double tap. It has taken me 2 years to break that aweful habit. I can now "see" two shots on a target 7 yards or closer in .15, and my double taps were .17-.18 You can have all the double taps I have no use for them :)

Rufus:

Could just be a matter of definitions. A double-tap is one sight picture with two presses on the trigger. What the guys are saying is that you need to have visual input and some type of processing going on for each and every shot. That visual input might not even be a classical sight picture, just a visual confirmation of the index. But you still need to see something, call the shot, and shoot again.

If your accomplishment is finally reaching the point where the pistol is tracking true and you have a good index and timing, then congrats. It's good to have a platform that will allow you to "doubletap", but don't do it. Work on the vision, that's where the real breakthrough will come.

The term for two quickly aimed shots is a controlled pair. It isn't a matter of just squabbling over rhetoric. A double-tap, in the classical sense, is still taught in some circles.

I think we need to remember that the vast majority of forum members post very little. Although everyone's intentions are good, the term "double tap" really sets most forum members' hackles on end. If nothing else, new shooters who run across this thread will stop to consider what it is they should be doing to shoot a controlled pair.

Damn! Look what I started!

Every shot (for me) has a distinct sight picture that I can recall. I can get WAY outta control if I'm not focused on my sight picture. Granted, in the amount of time it takes me to get off two A's, most people here could put 8 shots on target and go for coffee.