Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No Place For Long Range Practice

sniperdog

sniperdog,

i have the same problem, what i do is practice really small targets, at the distances i have available. in other words, an 9" target at 300yds, works out to a 3" target at 100yds. i use a 10-22 with the same sights i have on my AR. it fires cheap ammo and allows me lots of practice. the trajectory works out about the same also AR at100,200 & 300yds, is really close to 10-22 at 50,75, & 100yds.

trapr

John,

There are 200 yd public ranges managed by IN-DNR. One up by Winimac, the other at Jasper-Pulaski. Another option is Wildcat Valley RPC in Brookston. They have a 300 yd range.

The other option is to make nice with a local farmer. There is quite a bit of open land in your area.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Another good option is that since you do have 100 yards, pick up 2-3 targets from MGM (if he still has his lollipopper plates those rock!) and work on various shooting positions, transitions, weak/opposite hand shooting with the rifle, etc.

Then, occasionally go out to a 200 yard range to get the feel of targets at distance.

Too, work on shooting the shotgun and distance too.

After that, you'll be good to go.

Rich

Make up modified targets. You can simulate 200 and 300 yard targets with reduced ones, and shift the hit zone based upon your difference in zero.

For instance, my zero is ON at 50 yards and 220 yards, a couple inches high at 100 through 175, and few inches low at 300. I can make up a 50 yard simulated rack. A row of dark filled in circles 1 1/2" diameter are my aiming references. Since I need to hold 2 minutes high on 300 yard plates and my zero is ON at 50 yards, my target would have a lightly drawn scoring ring centered 2 minutes high (1 inch here). I use paper that looks like my backstop, and when I use correct holdover for 300 yard plates, my hits should go into the scoring circles (not on the balck dot). Similarly, I can make up a 100 yard target the same way with 3" aiming reference and the scoring ring is not needed. You can do the same thing with stadard targets and shift the A box for the simulated yardage. The idea is to force your holdovers to be correct.

Billski

C'mon John,,, You know you want to find an excuse to join the Wildcat! Dont due if for the children,, due it for the nice 300 yard high power range. That is now that the 9mm bolt has been changed out from your rifle!