Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Sc Extractor Question

BigDave

My 6" SV is setup for 38 Super. I'm starting to find quite a pile of 38 Supercomp in some fired brass I pick up off of the range and what I picked up at Bianchi. Well, some of it is making it's way through the 650 and ended up being loaded. I really, really don't want to pull bullets.

Is it as simple as getting a 9mm/38 SC extractor, fitting it up and running it? If it isn't, what else is involved (sorry if that is a BIG question).

TIA

Is it as simple as getting a 9mm/38 SC extractor, fitting it up and running it?

Maybe yes, maybe no depending on the size of your breech face and barrel fit. The extractor will push the round to the left. If the barrel is fit with enough slop, the gun will run fine, if not, the barrel might bind when it drops out of battery.

Load up some of the SC stuff and give it a try through your gun. It might work just fine without doing a thing. My single-stack .38 Super runs perfectly fine with SC brass.

Just for fun, on my 38 Super Open gun. I loaded up a mag with an assortment of 38 Super, 38 SC and 9mm. It ran the whole magazine without any problem. To save some of you a comment, I know that running 9mm in a 38 Super is hard on the extractor and can erode the chamber.

My 6" SV is setup for 38 Super. I'm starting to find quite a pile of 38 Supercomp in some fired brass I pick up off of the range and what I picked up at Bianchi. Well, some of it is making it's way through the 650 and ended up being loaded. I really, really don't want to pull bullets.

Is it as simple as getting a 9mm/38 SC extractor, fitting it up and running it? If it isn't, what else is involved (sorry if that is a BIG question).

TIA

Hi Big Dave,

It really depends on the gun. I have two .38 Super Open guns, both with Aftec extractors. The one with the STI slide will only run .38 Supercomp. The SVI slide one will run both .38 Super and Supercomp without a problem.

BTW, I'd be glad to buy the SC if you don't want to use it. I've lost a ton of Supercomp this year at various matches and could certainly put it to good use. If interested send me a PM.

Sam Spiteri

My race gun will run both .38 Super and SuperComp with either AFTEC extractor onboard. Ejection gets inconsistent w/ the Super extractor using SuperComp brass. Feeding can be dicey if I don't have a high quality recoil spring in the gun when the SuperComp extractor is in and I run Super brass. YMMV, of course :)

I agree with Mike - load a few up and try 'em. Realize, you'll need a different shellplate to hold the cases firmly... ;)

I agree with Mike - load a few up and try 'em. Realize, you'll need a different shellplate to hold the cases firmly... ;)

+1 I learned this the hard way. If you use the Super shellplate to load SC the brass can either get ripped out of the shellplate or shear off a piece of the rim. Use a 9mm/.223 shellplate for the SC.