Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 Extraxtion Problems

jspruance

I have a G34 that is about two years old. It has had about 6K rounds through it. I am having extraction problems now. I get about one failure to extract about every one hundred rounds.

The fired case will pull out of the chamber about 3/4 of the way and then the extractor will lose its grip, the slide will return to the rear and try to move the next round forward.

I have noticed for some time that when I drop the magazine and cycle the slide to unload the chamber the unfired round pulls and as soon as it clears the chamber it drops through the mag well.

I figured I had a bad extractor so I got a new one and installed it. The gun manually ejected the live round 8 or 10 times, I thought I had it fixed. It seemed to work perfectly for about 75 rounds live fire, then it was back to the same old problem.

I also tried switching the spring that puts pressure on the extractor, didn't help.

I then switched the extractor out of my G17, it now manually extracts properly again. I have no idea if it will revert to its old problem after I fire 50m or 100 rounds live fire.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

JFS

Make sure that you clean away any build up around the extractor area.

I would also replace the spring loaded bearing (Little plastic piece that goes in the end of the spring on the extractor depressor plunger behind the extractor.

Edited by cmzneb

And make sure that the spring loaded bearing (AKA "The Little Plastic Part") is the correct one for your extractor. The parts are different for the original extractor and the new loaded chamber indicator (LCI) parts. And like was already stated, make sure the channel that the extractor rides in is clean and dry...

And make sure you are putting the extractor assembly back into the gun in the proper order (metal to metal).

I often scrap the carbon build-up from the extractor and surrounding areas with a razor blade.

What weight of recoil spring are you using, btw ?

jspruance,

Some further thoughts on your Glock's extraction (and some ejection?) problems:

1. What kind of ammo are you shooting? If reloaded/reman ammo, is it loaded full power in new brass?

2. Is the chamber clean? A dirty chamber will slow the extraction of a fired case, especially if the answer to #1 is that you're shooting Cousin Bubba's reloads...

3. Are you running an extra power recoil spring? Flexmoney didn't say it, but overpowered recoil springs can slow down the functioning rate during the unlocking and extraction/ejection cycle.

4. Regarding your ejection of fired cases, are your magazine springs good...or a bit worn? Glocks appear to need good magazine spring tension to reliably eject fired cases. If you don't believe that, go out and shoot some rounds without the magazine in the gun (load from the magazine and then remove it). The fired cases will eject down the magazine well...

5. Flexmoney mentioned making sure the extractor depressor spring/plunger/bearing assembly are in the gun correctly (metal end to the extractor body and the plastic bearing against the slide cover plate)...make sure of this or the extractor will fail (and pop out the side of the slide) during firing.

Let us know how your "detective work" goes...

Wayne

Thanks for all of the replies.

(1) Brand new extractor correctly installed. No chips or dings.

(2) Extractor spring and plunger installed correctly. These are the original parts. I will try scraping that area with a blade.

(3) 15# recoil spring.

(4) Gun is thoroughly cleaned after each range session.

(5) It doesn't seem to matter whether I use factory or reloaded ammo. The problem is the extractor fails to hold a case loaded or unloaded until it contacts the ejector unless there is a magazine installed. I don't use any-one's reloads but my own. At least 135 PF.

I appreciate all of the help. I am going to strip the slide again and thoroughly clean the extractor slot . Monday I will order a new plunger and spring.

I won't make it to the range until Monday. I post an update.

Got to get this thing fixed before the Ohio Sectional.

Thanks

JFS

Try a factory recoil rod/spring assembly, to see if that is whats causing the problem. Since you said you have a 15# spring, I'm assuming you have an aftermarket rod/spring.

I dont know Glocks but that problem mimics a 1911 one that can be cured by a heavier recoil spring sometimes

I have a 13 lb ismi spring and tung. rod in mine and it is the most well tuned glock I have ever owned. Get the slide speed up and it may get better. My STI Edge drops the bullets right through the handle on Unload and Show Clear but runs like a top. If you have reloaded the brass many times it could be just worn on the case head...try some WWB factory for another test. 9mm at 135pf is pretty light. My money is on the brass.

I finally got out to the range again. I ran 130 rd. through the G34. It had no failures to eject and at the end of the session it was ejecting a loaded round through the port perfectly while slow racking the slide with no mag inserted.

I followed some of the tips provided. I paid special attention to cleaning the extractor groove with a bronze brush. Since I am using TG there was some buildup at the bottom of the groove. After cleaning I installed the new extractor with the loaded chamber ind. then the orig. G34 extractor and tried them both. Neither ejected the loaded round scenario as described above.

I then installed the extractor from my G17 (which is a 15 deg. ext) and it seems to work fine. The really strange thing is that either of the new style extractors works fine in the second gen. G17.

If I get another 500 rd. through the gun with no problems I will order another of the old style extractors and consider it a good fix.

Thanks for all of the advice and tips.

JFS