Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Conversion Barrels?

steel1212

I was wanting to get a XD in 40 and then get a conversion 9mm barrel maybe for shits and giggles but I was wondering if it would be legal in production and ESP in IDPA? I couldn't find anything that said no in the rules unless this noobie missed it.

I was wanting to get a XD in 40 and then get a conversion 9mm barrel maybe for shits and giggles but I was wondering if it would be legal in production and ESP in IDPA? I couldn't find anything that said no in the rules unless this noobie missed it.

No, yes and yes.

No, yes and yes.

So no in production

Yes in esp/IDPA?

Not that I doubt you but where in the rules did you find that I can't do that in production?

The 9mm should not work in the 40 slide, to wide a breach face & extractor.

I thought it strange myself but why do they sell conversion barrel kits for XDs and Glocks then?

Because people will buy them?

Seriously a lot of the conversion kits I've seen run... poorly. The hinged, sprung extractor design also helps in the Glock & XD cases, so sometimes you can get one that's reliable.

Yes in esp/IDPA?

Not that I doubt you but where in the rules did you find that I can't do that in production?

I assume "yes" in IDPA, because they don't say anything about conversion barrels, whereas the rulebook DOES expressly forbid them for SSP.

As for USPSA, I would think US Appendix D9, rule 17 would apply. I vaguely recall this issue coming up before, and I believe Amidon offered his opinion that conversion barrels weren't legal in Production. Do a search across all forums here -- I'm sure it's come up before.

All that said, I doubt anyone would ever notice, and it would be a matter of your conscience. That, and the risk of unreliablity. What are you gaining with the conversion barrel, except being able to shoot cheap (and hot) factory 9mm?

Yes in esp/IDPA?

I assume "yes" in IDPA, because they don't say anything about conversion barrels, whereas the rulebook DOES expressly forbid them for SSP.

As for USPSA, I would think US Appendix D9, rule 17 would apply. I vaguely recall this issue coming up before, and I believe Amidon offered his opinion that conversion barrels weren't legal in Production. Do a search across all forums here -- I'm sure it's come up before.

All that said, I doubt anyone would ever notice, and it would be a matter of your conscience. That, and the risk of unreliablity. What are you gaining with the conversion barrel, except being able to shoot cheap (and hot) factory 9mm?

Yeah, after thinking about it, its kind of silly since I reload. I can load soft .40 in minor better than 9mm and major for limited 10.

I don't know about the current IDPA rule book, but I remember looking into running 38 Super Comp (or 9x23) out of a Glock 20 (10mm) by doing a barrel swap. I was going to run in ESP. As I recall, however, there was some rule that didn't seem to allow it.

Basically, with the outside diameter of the barrel remaining the same, and the inside diameter going down to the 9mm size...you end up with a bit of a bull barrel. I think that was the hold up in ESP (maybe it was just the caliber change? ).

And, that wouldn't be allowed in USPSA Production either.