Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wear Ear And Eye Protection When Reloading!

The primer magazine went boom last night. I raised the handle, and there was a pop and a flash. I routinely wear safety glasses in my shop and I use those ear bands that fit behind your head and pop in and out in a second when reloading. I thought only 1 primer had blown, but they all lit off, except for the 1 shell in station 2 that had powder in it. I think I had about 30 primers in the machine. Thanks to the glasses and ear plugs, it was a complete non-event.

Not sure what happened, there was no unusual resistance pushing the handle up and the primer being seated in Station 2 was the only one not blown. The picture shows a couple of primers caught underneath the Primer Support Shim, not sure if that caused the explosion or happened because of it.

I took the primer assembly and the shell plate off, which appear to be the only damaged parts. 10 minutes cleaning off primer residue and the rest of the machine looked fine. I drove to Dillon today (great little store, hadn't been there before). They cheerfully handed me all new parts and threw in the new 2007 calendar as a freebie. Very nice folks!

I've got a call into NASA to see if they've spotted my Low Primer Warning Follower Rod :)

George

post-8666-1158184620.jpg

I think the one big thing keeping me from ever wearing contacts is that unless I'm asleep, I'm always wearing some form of eye protection. It may be smaller than a lot of glasses out there, but they are polycarbonate lenses and will do me a world of good should anything make a beeline for my eyes. I've only ever popped 3 primers. One in a shotshell press and two in my 650. The shotshell press was when somehow shot dropped un noticed into the primer seating station.. POP! The two with the 650 were one after another, stupid me put the sizing die into 2 and forgot to remove the de-prime portion of the sizing die. Seat primer in station 2.. push up to fully size on 2, machine jams up, I force it and POP!.. oops.

Vince

• 3 weeks later...

I am so paranoid since my buddy dropped a round on the concrete floor and set it off. He was stupid and dumping his loaded rounds off of his loader and it was a 2 foot drop. luckily we didnt get hurt but man I jumped a yard or two.

Scared the hell out of me.

Hiro