Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I got a new to me Bridgeport series I Model 82184. It has a digital readout for height, but I want eletronics for the table too. I want something decent but I don't want to spend lots of $. It has a motorized feed table and a Kurt vise. I'm looking for a round vise too. I have a class 3 Manufacturer helping me out, but I thought I would ask for help here to, because I always get excellent input.

Any tips on where and what to get is appreciated. I know I need cooling too. Low cost is good, but I want a decent setup. My business is picking up and I want to make guns with cool custom cuts and prototypes of things that get stuck in my head. The mill is in pretty good shape, it was in a barn for awhile so I spent the day cleaning it up and everything moves smoothly and it seems super sturdy and very solid (2000 pounds or so.)

Anyways, thanks in advance and any advise or good training materials would be appreciated.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

Scott, I've had a (relatively) inexpensive Mitutoyo X-Y DRO on my mill for about 4

years now with zero problems. Should be able to shop around a bit and pick one

up for $800 or a bit more. I got mine on one of J&L Industrial Supply's frequent

"Buy 5 items and take 25% off of the whole order" promotions.

I think the po'boy method might be to get some of those digital calipers on the cheap: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=47261

Rig them so they are permanently attached to the mill. I know I have seen that type of setup on somebody's web page. (I've got to load some ammo and run out the door or I'd try to dig that up for you.)

I've found for industrial grade DRO's the best place to deal with is http://www.candomachinery.com Mike is a great guy to deal with and he offers the best price cut I've found. Bought a Sony DRO from him as well as a 3rd axis CNC retrofit for my Bridgeport a few years ago. He dropped the price and just drop-shipped it to me from Accu-rite.

If the spindle bearings are shot consider a spindle rebuild into the cost of going CNC, because you won't be happy without it.

I've found for industrial grade DRO's the best place to deal with is http://www.candomachinery.com Mike is a great guy to deal with and he offers the best price cut I've found. Bought a Sony DRO from him as well as a 3rd axis CNC retrofit for my Bridgeport a few years ago. He dropped the price and just drop-shipped it to me from Accu-rite.

If the spindle bearings are shot consider a spindle rebuild into the cost of going CNC, because you won't be happy without it.

Would it be worth going cnc on this machine? Everything moves really well. Do you have a ballpark of what it cost you?

Probably not worth it if it's not going to make you any money. Cheapest retrofit (from a company that's worth using) is about $6k without ballscrews, then you have to install it.

I had a machine with a 2-axis Accu-rite MillPwr and spent $4800 for the 3rd axis on the Z and about another $550 to have my DRO guy install it. I'd say with few exceptions you're better off getting a DRO for the mill and getting an inexpensive rotary table and doing it that way. I think it's more enjoyable anyway. I'm programming EDM electrodes for injection molds at work right now and I think CNC is boring as hell. I kinda miss doing things the old way.

I was thinking if I want to make money, me doing it in my shop isn't the ticket. There are some good shop around that can crank stuff out on very good machines.

On the rotary table would something like this be OK.

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-HORIZONTAL-VERTICAL-...1QQcmdZViewItem

What about the chuck? Anything to look out for?

Thanks, I'm learning a ton.