Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

spring weight & effect on sight picture

triplem

First post by a new member.  Be kind.  Have lurked for quite some time and have been able to answer most of my questions by searching around.  After having read Brian's book (very enlightening)I have become much more aware of my shooting and it has prompted the following question.  

I am using a kimber custom target II shooting 200g relatively light reloads.  Have experimented with 16.5 and 13.0 lb wolff variable rate springs.  I like the 13.0 lb spring as there is less perceived recoil but it has caused me to notice something.  

While attempting fast second follow-up shots, I see the front sight does not return and settle back down into the notch.  Rather, I see the front staying above the rear notch and I have to make a conscious effort to realign the sights.

What is causing this?  Will going to a heavier recoil spring bring the front sight down farther resulting in a faster sight picture? I don't recall the sight picture when I used the 16.5 lb spring and would prefer to stay with lighter springs if possible.  My thoughts are either the light spring is not snapping the muzzle back down far enough or that my technique simply needs work.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.  

Its not your spring its your grip technique. I use a 9 lb in my IPSC Limited 180 gr 950 FPS. I use a 7lb in my racegun 115 gr 1470 FPS. I like the feel of a light spring.  

The most important thing to shooting fast and accurate is trigger control. A very close # 2 is grip. It must be correct. Look at the pics of top shooters and emulate them. There is room for adjustment but all hold the gun the same way. That's part of the correct grip. Consistant pressure to shoot accurate. If you do and practice the sights will fall where they should.

I'm with Bill.  It's likely you and not the gun.  Whenever you change something in your gun, it takes time and ammo to adjust yourself to the change.

If you are wondering about your grip and stance, check out this link to info from Matt Burkett:

http://www.mattburkett.com/1.html

Matt also has the drill you will want to try that will help you become aware of what the changes are doing to you and the gun.  See his timing drill here:

http://www.mattburkett.com/10.html

PS Kyle is right on about the seeing. Most don't see for a long time.

Welcome and keep posting. You will find everyone helpful and easy to get along with. Most are like me. It helps me to help others. Sometimes I need the help also

(Edited by BSeevers at 10:34 pm on Aug. 15, 2002)

bseevers & Flexmoney,

Thank you for the thoughtful and well received information. I suspected it was me & not the gun.  I had previously read the Burkett link re proper grip and have been working on emulating it (Brian seems to have the same grip described in his book).  Will definitely try the timing drill.  I am tending to think that proper grip tension may be part of the problem.

As a side note, I am going to be at the Steel Challenge - World Speed Shooting Championships at Piru tomorrow and Saturday.  Spoke with a friend who was out there today for the shotgun and rimfire event.  Matt Burkett is there as well as many other top notch shooters.  Looking forward to watching these guys and learning as much as possible.

Thanks again.

triplem,

Sounds like you will will do very well in this game.  (you've already showed your willingness to research and learn)

Have fun at the Steel Challenge...don't be afraid to take a digital camera with you (and post pictures for us ;) ).

Going to the steel challenge? Priceless.

One other thought about springs and other gun-related mods:

You definitely want to try all the changes, springs, mods, and other assorted trickery because they do help...but none of it will matter as much as you, behind the gun, making it do your bidding.

I bet nobody ever lost a match because they did everything right but had the wrong recoil spring.

SA

If the muzzle stays elevated after the shot's fired, the classic answer is that you're overgripping the gun, i.e. squeezing too hard. Relax your grip and the sights should return to the same place every time. That assumes of course, you're doing everything else right....

Thanks for everyone's input. Went shooting this weekend.  Played with grip tension and things began falling into place.  

Was at the Steel Challenge Friday and Sunday.  I will definitely be a participant next year.  The top shooters are amazing.  Was able to borrow a video camera and taped part of the team shoot-off on Sunday.  If I can figure it out, I'll download some of the footage (as still photos if possible).

Thanks again.