Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My First Squib Load(s)

I loaded up some new .41 Mag plinker loads and was comparing them to the last batch when I got an unusually soft round. I fished my brass rod out of the range bag and didn't have an obstruction. The next round was like an air pistol and sure enough -- stuck a bullet in the bore.

Drove it out at home with a dowel, so the gun's OK, but my ammo is likely all gonna come apart. I took about 8 rounds apart (out of a batch of 100) and instead of 12.3gr Blue Dot, I've got 9-10 grains in all but one I sampled; one was dead on.

My previous reloading session had been for .44 Mag and I was using a charge of 12.5gr Blue Dot and the micrometer adjustment I made to get to 12.3 for the .41 Mag loads was trivial -- 6-8 ticks on the outer ring.

I put a couple of the now-empty cases I pulled into the press and threw some charges and they all came up dead-on at 12.3gr Blue Dot; so the powder throw isn't totally out of adjustment.

I'm kind of stumped as to what happened -- I guess the "good" news is that it wasn't just a single round, but a repeated problem. Having sort of tested the existing powder setting, I can only guess that I was short-stroking the press. Any other explanations that are likely?

I suppose I should also take the powder assembly apart and make sure there's nothing floating around in there that would partially obstruct the powder bar.

I guess it had to happen eventually, although it's taken 6k rounds to get there.

Having sort of tested the existing powder setting, I can only guess that I was short-stroking the press. Any other explanations that are likely?

I suppose I should also take the powder assembly apart and make sure there's nothing floating around in there that would partially obstruct the powder bar.

Short Stroking would be one cause but it would seem it would show up in longer OAL as well. Check that.

Another thing I would check would be to make sure the white plastic square thinginy (technical term so let me know if I am talking over ya head) on the side of the powder measure is traveling its full throw.

Make sure the powder measure didn't get low (I usually fill it at the half mark.

Other than that make sure your stroke is long enough, smooth and consistent.

Don't worry I haven't gone blind yet but I do wear glasses. :ph34r:

Steven

Yep,

The the 'Failsafe bar' and the springy thing and the blue nut that tightens it...mine has been coming loose as of late and i've had a few errant charge weights as the powder bar didn't fully return.

From the "Boy, do I feel stupid" department:

As it turns out, I disassembled some cartridges with weirdly seated primers and dumped the powder back into the powder measure at the end of the last .44 Mag session. Without thinking, I dumped the contents of the bullet puller which included a 240gr JHP.

At the time I thought "ahh, crap, I'll grab it next time". I even rigged up a reminder, which of course fell on the floor when I uncovered the press last week. eliciting a "What the hell was that there for?"

All of this came back to me after I hit send on my previous message, and sure enough, there it was at the bottom of the powder magazine.

I guess it's a strict "fix it NOW" policy, or at least putting a written note to myself and not just balancing an empty case on top of the powder magazine.

(Yes, the white delrin/plastic washer thingie is in the little cutout, I checked that, too).