Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

7625 Vs. N330 Vs. Titegroup

Sgtsvi

I have a substantial amount of each of these powders and I am wanting to hear other shooters experiences with the listed powders. I am currently shooting a 185gr Precision with 4.3 gr. of Titegroup, OAL 1.185 with WSR primers. The gun is a factory SV 5" with a AET barrel.

I like this load but I was wondering if any of you guys tried the other two powders. I am curious about how snappy, smokey, clean, dirty the other powders ran in your guns.

Thanks

At risk of sounding like a broken record, if you like the Titegroup load - load more :) I think you will find N320 and Titegroup to feel very similar, however almost everyone can get TG locally. I believe the comparison was referenced as "Tastes great!, "Less Filling" in another thread.

I found the most improvement when I finally picked a load and practiced with it. Many thousands of rounds later, I'm not as picky about my ammo - all it has to do is go bang when I pull the trigger and maintain a good degree of accuracy.

I found the following powders suitable for .40 Major (In no particular order):

Titegroup

N320

WST

Universal Clays

N330

WSF

If you are concerned about smoke, I think you will find TG worse than the others in the list. (This is with lead or poly/moly coated bullets). Also, in my experience weather conditions have an influence on the amount of smoke any load produces.

Edited by Paradox

I havent tried 7625 in the 40 at major, but i have shot a LOT of 4756 with precision bullets at major in the 40...

N330 is OK, but Titegroup shoots softer

N330 is cleaner though.

I think i would just stick with Titegroup if i were you.

harmon

My normal load is 4.65gr of titegroup with a 180 gr bullet. I was running low on TG and I use 7625 in the 9 major, so I worked up a 40 load with the 7625. In a side by side comparison I found NO difference between the two loads. I mixed them in the magazine as well and I couldn't tell you which was which. Accuracy seemed comparable between the loads as well. I've always used TG, but I may switch to 7625 so I can use the same powder in both guns and just buy one BIG jug of it. The final loads were:

180 gr Zero JHP

1.175 OAL

Win SP

4.65gr of TG - 171pf

5.75gr 7625 - 170pf

• 1 month later...

imr 7625, 4.8 grains

montana gold 180 JHP

federal 100 primer

winchester brass

OAL at 1.132"

6inch KKM Glock 24 barrel

I fired three shots over the chrono like they would at a match.

Average of 975 and change for a power factor of 175.5

Those were the first three rounds fired on a slightly dirty barrel. i had been shooting N330 with 200 grain precisions.

since every shot was slowing down i figured i would clean the barrel and retest the ammo.

Clean bore:

Average was 951.6

makes 172 power factor..

im gonna load 1000 of them and see how they go.

Harmon

Harmon,

What was the 4756 load in 40 with the precision bullets? I have about 8 lbs of it when I tried a race gun for a while. I gave it up when it was just too labour intensive to keep the thing running right, but would love to use the powder in some way.

Tom Beazlie

I have a substantial amount of each of these powders and I am wanting to hear other shooters experiences with the listed powders. I am currently shooting a 185gr Precision with 4.3 gr. of Titegroup, OAL 1.185 with WSR primers. The gun is a factory SV 5" with a AET barrel.

I like this load but I was wondering if any of you guys tried the other two powders. I am curious about how snappy, smokey, clean, dirty the other powders ran in your guns.

Thanks

Dave,

Your TG load is almost as good as it gets. I prefer the N320 but if I can't get N320, it'll be TG. I'm sure we can find a way to use up the N330 in your 40 but the 7625 is too much of a boomer for major LTD 40. I shot Win Super Field at the old PF for awhile, now you know why I got the elbow brace.....

Mick