Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speedloader Carriers...again

revchuck

Okay, folks, dumb question time again. I'm looking for enough speedloader carriers to use in a USPSA match. I've shot one already with a conglomerate of different carriers, and it worked okay, but looked excessively funky. I wanna look cool, like youse guys. :)

The best theoretical solution would be to get what I need from http://www.pistolpacking.com, but the word is that the guy is a victim of his own success, and is snowed under.

Plan B (and the one I'm seriously considering) is to get a couple of the Safariland 333s and cut them up to fit on my belt - have utility knife, will travel. I could put a dual Blade-Tech holder behind the gun for emergencies and/or prone shooting, giving me a total of eight speedloaders.

Plan C is get however many Safariland CD2s I need and use them. I tried that about 20 years ago when they first came out, and there was a 50% chance that the holder would come off the belt with the SL when you were in a hurry. I could drill and pop-rivet the belt loop part, but still don't have confidence that the SLs will stay in there.

Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

You didn't mention if you were using an inner and outer belt system.....

Assuming you are, get the Safariland holders, go to the local fabric store and get some

"Hook and Loop" tape (Velcro) with the self-adhesive on the back.

Stick a strip of the right one on the back of the holder and when you put your belt on it

should stay put !

Dave's velcro idea works great. The 333 Safariland also works well without cutting. Get yourself a CR Speed belt from Chuck at Shooter's Connection and set your gear up on it. With the velcro on the inside of the holster and loader carriers, everything stays put.

what speed loaders are you using??

Plan D use a moon clip gun :D

Regards,

Gary

Thanks, guys! Of course, more questions...

For speedloaders I always liked the Safariland holders the best. Very reliable and never lost a loader from one.
Steve - Which Safariland holder - the one that the SL clips into, or the metal one?
Get yourself a CR Speed belt from Chuck at Shooter's Connection and set your gear up on it. With the velcro on the inside of the holster and loader carriers, everything stays put.

what speed loaders are you using??

Plan D use a moon clip gun

Gary - I wasn't planning on it, but I guess I need to get the inner/outer belt setup. I'll probably go with the Safariland - $39 for the set from Gil Hebard (M&P discount). I'm using Safariland Comp IIs...they're as gamey as I can stand at this point. :P

Plan B+ is using the M22-4, since I only need five moonclip holders (already have three) and have one and a half .50 cal cans full of .45 ACP just sitting there. I may have a holster problem since the tops of my N frame holsters come about halfway between the rear of the trigger and the rear of the trigger guard; the trigger guard isn't completely covered. This isn't an issue with the Fobus that I'd use for the K/L frames.

Also, the M22 has such a nice blue that I don't want to maul it with a kydex holster. ;)

At this point it's looking like the metal Safariland holders with Dave's velcro mod and the Safariland inner/outer belts. Gun will be my M19-3 with a...ah...somewhat worn finish and decent trigger.

Another option for a holster for your 22 is a leater belt holster. Dillon sells one and you can check out www.gunnersalley.com. Or if you went for a speed type, either the CR speed (which is what I use currently) or a Garica extreme (which I have one lying about) are good choices.

I have three of the speedloader pouches from www.pistolpacking.com, and I do like them.

I wasn't planning on it, but I guess I need to get the inner/outer belt setup. I'll probably go with the Safariland - $39 for the set from Gil Hebard (M&P discount). I'm using Safariland Comp IIs...they're as gamey as I can stand at this point. :P

Good deal on the belt. Comp II loaders work with the 333 so you should be set. BUT, if you ever want some SL Variant loaders, let me know :D

Regards,

Gary

Another option for a holster for your 22 is a leater belt holster. Dillon sells one and you can check out www.gunnersalley.com. Or if you went for a speed type, either the CR speed (which is what I use currently) or a Garica extreme (which I have one lying about) are good choices.

I have three of the speedloader pouches from www.pistolpacking.com, and I do like them.

Dan - I've already got two leather holsters for 4" N frames. I had already checked and Dillon does have the Mitch Rosen one for tapered barrel N frames in stock, so we're thinking in the same direction. I need to check the rulebook to see if the ones I have are USPSA kosher. At this point in time, funds (and therefore options) are limited. :(

I've got three of his old style moon clip holders, and they work pretty well.

If I bought with my head instead of my heart, I would've spent the M22 money on a JM 625 (the one with just the ejector rod shroud), but I've got this thing for 4" tapered barrel N frames. About the only thing that would get me out of the paying-down-the-credit-cards mode would be finding a decent 4" 38/44 at a good price. ;)

Just a quick note,

The CR speed belt is a much stiffer, thicker belt than the Safariland.

I get a lot of flop and movement out of the holster with my current Safari set than I'd like,

I'll be switching to the CR speed soon.

(Just wish I didn't have to buy the "ohmygawd" size :( )