Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Giraud Vs Gracey

I saw both of these case trimmers mentioned in another post. Which do you prefer? I also noticed one forum member said he was using a Giraud cutter on a Gracey trimmer and was very pleased. What is the scoop?

I have three Dillon trimmers (two dedicated to specific cartridges, the third for "other" cartridges) and the Giraud for 30'06 and 223.

One of our High Power instructors has access to the Gracey for 223. He says he doesn't like it because it sometimes overtrims (past the length he wanted) brass.

Most of the threads I have read say the Giraud is more powerful, trims quicker and I notice that on Ebay you can purchase the Gracey without a motor (later adding the Giraud motor).

As to my experience with the Giraud, I found it to be very simple. Doug sends it to you all set up & ready to go. He sends a trimmed piece of brass showing how it is set up to trim and what length. You work it sort of like a pencil sharpener, stick the brass in, turn it 180 degrees and pull it out. It is trimmed to length, and chamfered inside and out. Takes a second or so. Using two hands, (right one grabs brass, sticks it in, turns, pulls out, left one sticks new piece in, etc, while right one grabs third piece, etc.) it seems is faster than the Dillon, and, as a bonus, chamfers, too.

I have never used the Gracey myself and I have heard good things about it despite what the instructor says, though everyone I have discussed it with says the Giraud is better, faster and more powerful.

Only drawback is that you can almost buy two Dillon trimmers for what one Giraud costs.

I have no regrets, however, and may buy another and certainly will buy another Dillon.

Bob

I have a Gracey and love it to death, but were I to buy one today, it would be the Giraud. I bought my Gracey way back when the Giraud was unavailable.

Compared to either the Gracey, or the Giraud all other power trimmers are primitive and do an inferior job IMHO.

I saw both of these case trimmers mentioned in another post. Which do you prefer? I also noticed one forum member said he was using a Giraud cutter on a Gracey trimmer and was very pleased. What is the scoop?

Cosby,

I have had both - The Gracy trimmer is a good trimmer - the Giraud is a great trimmer.

I bought extra case holders and heads for the Giraud - so switching between different calibers (.223 to 6.5x308 to .308) is quick and setup the same each time.

here's their website:

http://www.giraudtool.com/prod02.htm

+1 for the giraud. once you set it to trim the length you want, its as easy as sharpening a pencil. stick it in, rotate it, and you're done (that didn't sound right but its as simple as that) ;)

Love my Giraud. He has a meplat uniformer as well that is quick to use, provided you are trimming a loaded round. Using the meplat trimmer on just bullets sucks.

I've trimmed a thousand cases in an hour with the Giraud. It rocks.

If Doug ever gets a case neck turning attachment for the trimmer, it'll be a must have item for the volume precision shooter.

Edited by John Dunn