Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Consitutes L.e

Alex, it really depends on the department! I know of at least two departments that lets thier guys carry STIs etc. and they aren't small ones. I know a police chief that carries a SVI wiht a J.Point on it, and he lets his guys carry just about anything they want.

I also would once again like to point out that there is NO SUCH THING as an EX Marine, you are or you aren't! As for Marine armorers, perhapse they should just go to the prize table first as that is usually how they finish anyway :lol:

I agree with prosecuter class, but they would have to be able to quell 15 riotous Hells Angels by themselves...one riot, one prosecuter. :D Tie requiered!

semper fi-and i don't want to be recognized as first marine (sorry you army guys). also, would hate to see the prison babysitters in Kali be considered LE...

Well, well, well. It looks like this discussion has reared its ugly head again, huh?

As far as USPSA went, there were no "prizes" for LE/Mil, just an extra trophy/plaque (that Manny agreed to include free for any match recognizing it).

I need to find out who's giving actual prizes for LE!

This point has been debated endlessly in the past. Some people just don't get it, and don't want to. Once I FINALLY move to Tulsa and become non-LE (1st time in 14 years), I'll still feel that salaried, full-time LE/MIL should be recognized for it. Hell, it's just a trophy...a small token of appreciation to the men and women who make a living - a meager living - doing the things most people wouldn't, or couldn't do.

BTW, I'd like to personally thank Mike F., Mike D., and Bladetech for recognizing Law Enforcement at the Steel Challenge...and, of course, high Limited! ;)

Man! That felt good! Hell, I might just go join the Tulsa Co Auxiliary Dept!

Edited by gmshtr

I wasn't aware that an "ugly head" had been raised. All I wanted was some simple guide lines for the PRIZE TABLE, not awards, plaques ,trophies, dingle dangle geegaws, or anything else.

Phill, most large NON USPSA 3-gun matches had/have prizes for the HIGH L.E. Sometimes a sponsor will request thier donation go to L.E. such as Point Blank Body Armor.

Now here is my quandry, lets say guy A is a really great shooter and back in the day before his state allowed CCW his good buddy the chief of police gave him an honorary capitans badge Kind of like Elvis's gig. Now this here tin doesn't say honorary or anything other than Capitain of Police jerkwater U.S.A. The ONLY time he has spent in a police car was showing his badge triing to get out of a ticket or a DUI. He runs a chain of night clubs, but he probably knows how to dial 911. Let's say he wins the match, and of course high L.E ( remember the badge?) So He get a very nice level III vest for high L.E from Point Blank and a J.P. rifle for match win. Now as a night club owner he probably doesn't need the armor, but he knows a few cops so he will sell the armor for say around $750 (the absolute wholesale on the vest). Now lets take guy B. Full time state trooper in a fairly poor state, has to buy his own armor and his patrol region is vast and he is the ONLY one. He is a heck of a shooter and finishes 4th over all, second L.E. and wins an upper for an AR and a Sure-Fire 6p for second L.E. He goes home and sells the Upper for $450.00 as the market is saturated and that is only HALF the cost of the Vest that A won for being "L.E." So you tell me Phill, is that a "good use" of the prize structure. Anyone who can lay ANY kind of claim to L.E? Is that fair and just?? Let me know Phill because this is the kind of thing I am triing to work out! KURTM

I said it earlier, I'll say it again, "Full Time" carry with "Full Time" arrest powers and nuttin' less. The guys who make the house calls and car stops all day long, 300+ days a year are the only ones who really deserve it. Sorry folks, but as Kurt lays it out, nothing less is fair. This is exactly why I said it earlier.

If you allow retired LEO, lets call it 20 years duty.

As for military, "Active Duty", "Called Up Reserve", or retired after 20 years service minimum here again.

IMHO, ya' gotta' earn it if ya' wanna' deserve it!

Kurt,

I debated this point until I was blue in the face about 2-3 years ago when USPSA decided to no longer recognize LE/Mil.

But, as far as your point, that's complete crap. It sounds like the person who allegedly sold the body armor wasn't really a cop. If there are actually prizes like those being given for LE winners, I would require some proof of full-time employment (letter from the Chief, pay stub, etc.)...if it were up to me, of course.

My $.02,

Phil

I like Mr. Ds call!!

Phill, I guess you do have criteria! Spell it out, because you are one of the ones I would like an opinion from.... you know full time L.E. Now as a D.C. cop it won't count as much as "real" L.E. but I consider you to have a good vote here! ( NOTE!! I am KIDDING !!)

Does just having a badge make one L.E"?? NO! but how do I kow as the prizer director??

BTW I am L.E as I am a member of the Pentajote ( secret police) of Bolivia, I can produce a badge and have a potsy! BUT I never shoot that in the U.S. or Bolivia, or anywhere as all I do is a little training on how to shoot a pistol and a shotgun!

The occurance I speak of is true! but the rules said " if you have a badge , you are L.E". I just happen to know the "rest of the story".

So what is that criteria?? KURTM

I'd say if you are still in and working then your badge and the letter from the department chief as Phil says is the way to go.

As for years of service if you are retired, that also can come on department letterhead.