Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's The Call?

Sam38

In truth, it is one of those things that we would do on a case by case basis, contrary to the rules.

[raised eyebrow mode]

Wow.

[/raised eyebrow mode]

With all due respect, Jim, this just makes me uncomfortable regardless of context.

I think you need to read my original post to put this in context. What I am saying is that a NEW SHOOTER, or perhaps a, shall we say, elder shooter, eihter of whom are no threat to the class or divison winners, may get a little additinal coaching or assistance where a fully competent top of his game shooter would not. It hurts no one, it gives the new guy a boost, teaches him while he has an enjoyable day, keeps him in the sport and generally he will bring out more people. The elder shooter deserves our respect. I tend to think of it in terms of how I'd have like someone to assist my father had he reached that point in life, or maybe how I might appreciate not being told I am too old to play when I am still safe, jus t alittle off my game at say 80 years old. Many of the elder group have given all their lives. If I can't give them a quiet assist, I am not worthy of carrying on.

That said, If they are unsafe, then we are talking a different story. Usually, what I see is a guy that wants to walk through a stage, stops to shoot each target. Reloads while standing still, may be a bit shakey. He is still here, still playing the game to his level and having fun. Why not let him have his dignity. Where is the loss?

I had a father son group at a steel match earlier this year. The father was in his early 80's, he had carried a 1911 all his life, but was now on that sad down hill side of life. I assisted him and quietly coached him through the couses. When we were done, his son came over to me and thanked me for allowing his father to shoot the match with his dignity intact.

The elder man may never return, he may not even be around next year (who amongst us can say for certain if we will), but I am reasonably certain that his son will return to our club and that he will tell others of how well the shooting community treated his father that day.

This is what I mean by applying all of this on a case by case basis. If you show up with your C or higher card, for that matter, your D card, you are not going to get the boost. It is reserved for the people at both ends ot their shooting careers. I only hope that when I am on the line some day that someone will tap me on the shoulder or what ever and let me know I should fully insert my magazine, rather than stand there and laugh at a 80 year old man trying to keep his spirts up. Like wise I would hope that when you see a newbie, you'd give hime a little advice, maybe a hint or two that some would consider coaching so that rather than going away and never returning, he/she comes back and spends a lifetime with us.

Jim

Great post, Jim.

I agree with Jim. I also think there comes into play some common sense. In the first post you made it clear this person wasn't the brightest star in the sky. If the RO knew that as well, why not just have him Unload and Show Clear before proceeding to the next stage? I know it is a little off topic, but with new shooters, sometimes you can confuse the rules if you let them change STAGES hot. I completely understand string changes hot, but I would be hesitant to walk some of our newest shooters to another stage hot. As far as the reshoot, let him at it AFTER you explain the rules and that you are making an exception (NOT A SAFETY EXCEPTION) for him because of his inexperience. It isn't a reshoot because of a 180 or an AD. The guy left his holster locked, being safe between stages. Just my $.02.

As to the question in this thread.... No reshoot.

Now, as to the going hot between strings, et al...

I RO'd the classifier at Area 3 which is one that specifies scoring and taping between strings...

What we did was set up two identical copies of the stage side by side. Shot one string and then moved the shooter hot to the second copy to shoot the second string. This accomplishes the spirit of the classifier by separating the strings (so that the 2 hit per no-shoot limit doesn't give an advantage), makes the stage run way faster, and most importantly, doesn't require anyone down range when a weapon is hot.

Edited by cautery