Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mainspring conversion

CRAZY ARKY

Most revolvers are very easy to change mainsprings on, just replace with aftermarket mainspring ( have had good luck with Wilson combat, light but not too light ). Altering single action pull involves stoning of surfaces and should be done slowly, and by someone with substantial knowledge of  the inner workings of revos, it is easy to remove too much resulting in unsafe gun, and expensive parts replacement.                                         Travis F.

• 3 weeks later...

Try posting your question to:

http://www.sassnet.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

This is the SASS (Single Action Shooting Society) Forum and there will be several people who can answer your question and have experience doing this same type of work to a Ruger Redhawk. I shoot Ruger Vaqueros in SASS and I've had both of the Mainsprings replaced with great results on trigger pull - about 3lbs. Cost is about $25 for the mainspring and you can install it yourself. There are many, many choices from manufacturers, so post the question over there and you will get multiple answers! I can't make a recommendation for the Redhawk because I don't own one. The Vaquero is very different than the Redhawk. Good Luck!!

I'm not sure anyone at SASS will know much about a double action revolver but anyway a spring kit is what you need. It will reduce the single action trigger pull slightly also. I second the Wilson spring kit. Your owners manual has a pretty good break down in it that should show you what you need to do to change the springs. If not any decent gunsmith can do it for you for a nominal charge.

• 4 weeks later...

If all you want to do is change the springs, That's SIMPLE!!! Pull the grips and look at the spring assy within the grip housing. You'll need a small nail or something similar. Now watch the spring as you cock the hammer. There is a small hole at the base of the hammer-spring strut. Put the nail in the hole and release the hammer slowly. The spring assy will now come out. NOTE: Watch the ORIENTATION of the spring/bar. Now just use your hands to compress the spring and remove the nail (this will allow everything to FLY er, um, come apart) again, watch the orientation. Change the spring to the one that you can get from Brownells or Wolff, and reassemble. That's all the difficult part. To get the action smooth, shoot or dryfire the hell out of it. Simple as that.

Later and I hope this helps...

Glockn...