Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1st Annual Cactus League Combat Shotgun Match

Jay...I've been trying to round up some other local sponsors for you. Heard anything from anyone?

Actually last night I got an email, thx a bunch. Practical Tactical sent me an email and we are workin out the particulars as we speak. I will get with you soon as well to hammer out the final logistics.

Thx again.

Jay

OK, I got my entry confirmation - thanks Jay.

Any guidance on rules ? Will this be pretty much SMM3G rules as far as shotgun equipment goes ? The info I have so far just says there will be separate divisions for "Open", "Semi" and "Pump". Also, do you think there will be enough time for re-entry in a second division (for prizes or just for fun) ?

OK, I got my entry confirmation - thanks Jay.

Any guidance on rules ? Will this be pretty much SMM3G rules as far as shotgun equipment goes ? The info I have so far just says there will be separate divisions for "Open", "Semi" and "Pump". Also, do you think there will be enough time for re-entry in a second division (for prizes or just for fun) ?

Depending on final turnout there could be time for a second shoot for fun only. No prizes for second gun. Rules are fairly open. No limits on mag tube length, can only start with 9 in gun. Open is USPSA open. Semi auto is USPSA limited and pump is off of Heavy metal pump rules. Scoring is based off the clubs Thur night rules. Overall pretty relaxed. Hope to see ya there.

Shot the match today, it was fun and challenging. Thanks to Jay for putting it on, he did a good job.

I believe there was a turn out of 38 shooters. Each division (Pump, Auto, Open) had decent turn out with Auto being the most popular.

Division Winners:

Auto: Richard Bhella

Pump: Greg Gehle

Open: Russell Phagan (me)

Top 3 (scoring is total time)

1 Richard Bhella (auto)

2 Russell Phagan (open)

3 John Antrim (auto)

I'm a middle of the pack shooter normally, the Saiga with 10 round mags allowed me to beat all the tube shooters there except for Richard. I was first place on two of the stages (the ones with the highest round counts).

I was honestly suprised with the results, and I told the gathered crowd "I suck and if the Saiga helps me shoot this good, you guys really need to get Saigas". They all laughed, but I suspect Saiga-12s will be taking off in the competition shooting community soon...doing this well is not something I expect to have happen again when better shooters than I start using them.

Thanks to Tony of Tromix for building me a kick-a$$ gun, Thanks to Kevin of AGP for giving me the mags to pound on, and thanks to David from Coyote Tactical for building my load bearing rig and mag pouches. I'll be using this all at the Fort Benning 3 Gun Match hosted by the AMU in two weeks.

http://www.cavalryarms.com/shotgun/saiga-win.jpg

more detailed stage descriptions, pics, and video to be posted tomorrow.

so Russell, are you staying in Open class? Do they have Trooper Open? :)

Congrats on winning Open...shotgun or not, you still must have shot very well!!

Cheryl :)

Thanks.

Trooper is the ultimate open, NO limitations other than what you can carry. I shoot open regularly at local matches just so I can use my Trooper gear (I like bipods and sometimes dual optics on a rifle, and I usually have an X200 light on my pistol). The Saiga is going to be a huge advantage for Ironman in 2007, as long as it keeps running like it is. The Fort Benning Match doesn't have Trooper, so I will shoot open there.

Edited by SinistralRifleman

You know what would be really cool - a shoot off with shotguns after the match. Just throw up a couple of plate racks and stop poppers. Maybe next year.

Thought about it but with the lack of help this year it wasn't an option. Hopefully next year people will be more receptive to help out. I think all in all it went great. I'm glad everyone had a good time. Russel is being rather modest I think, He shot a good match but he is right that Saiga does run. I had one stage I hoped to slip him up on but didnt not have time to play with it enough to make sure that you had to load slugs in the middle of the stage to engage some slug steel but since mother nature showed up that morning and kept a 20mph + wind up I had to spend my morning staking and weighing down all my walls and targets. AHHHH the joys of being an MD. :)

Anyways I would like to thank Cav Arms, Practical Tactical, and Sporstmens Warehouse for sponsoring the match. I had enough to make sure that everyone walked away with something. Thanks again.

Russel thanks for doin the pics and such, I was hoping you would since I saw ya with the vid and camera. Can't wait to see them.

Anyways I hope everyone had fun and I look foward to next year. Hopefully we can make it bigger and better. I really think that single gun matches like all shotgun or all rifle matches are gonna become more popular. As 3 gun grows in popularity it gives the local clubs an ability to put on a match besides a pistol match and allows the 3 gunner to practice on one of his or her other disciplines. Anyone can get in a pistol match just about anywhere but hopefully the ability to get in a shotgun or rifle match grows that way a 3 gun match isnt the only time we get the chance to shoot shotgun and rifle.

Cheers and thanks again for everyone who showed up and shot.

Jay

The only thing I can criticize is the scoring system. Some people got confused as to which targets got a -1 bonus. To keep things simple, all steel needs to be knocked down and you get a +5 penalty if you don't. I don't think steel should get a -1 bonus. Disappearing targets are a different story-flying clays and rabbits.

Anyway, it was a great match. I just wish I didn't shoot so poorly - 29 seconds in penalties won't get it done. Congrats to the winners. It kills me that I missed taking a plaque home by 0.71 seconds. It's too bad we have to wait another year for a match like this.

Thanks Jay.

Edited by ERIC

...I really think that single gun matches like all shotgun or all rifle matches are gonna become more popular. As 3 gun grows in popularity it gives the local clubs an ability to put on a match besides a pistol match and allows the 3 gunner to practice on one of his or her other disciplines. Anyone can get in a pistol match just about anywhere but hopefully the ability to get in a shotgun or rifle match grows that way a 3 gun match isnt the only time we get the chance to shoot shotgun and rifle.

Jay

Thanks for putting on a fun match. Please do it again next year, but be sure to order less wind next time :D .

I agree that rifle-only and shotgun-only matches should be encouraged. The equipment burden is less, and the administrative issues around managing multiple weapons (safety, scoring) are eliminated. IMHO, the attraction of shooting all three guns in a match, and of weapon transitions, is often overstated. Russell ran an excellent rifle-only match in July, which hopefully will also become an anual event.

Well, my beater AZ DPS trade-in 870 ran better than my Benelli. :blink: I had a good time at the match, probably because I didn't expect much out of my first time out with a pump shotgun and did better than expected.

However, pump shotguns are too much masochism for my taste. I'll keep it in case I decide to shoot he-man/heavy metal, but otherwise it's back to beating my head against the wall called a Benelli.

Great video of the stages Russel, thats great. I'll be expecting the extra range fees for shooting stages 1 and 2 again, that or kick backs on any Saiga sales :P:P:P Just kidding. Glad you had fun and thanks for everything again.

Jay