Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Becoming A Complete Competitor...

Pyre602

I just recently started shooting in open and have learned more about my equipment than I ever had before. I used to shoot a glock, and maintenance wise it was just load the magazine, shoot, and clean it every once in a while.

Now that I've started shooting open, it's a completely new ball game. I bought a used .38 super that I've started using, and now I realize all the minutae that I have to keep in to make sure it's running reliably. I've learned in the last month how to tune and judge recoil springs, extractor tuning, load differences, and I'm probably going whole lot of other things along the way. Not to say that's a bad thing, it just makes me realize more about this sport, and learn how to fix things myself when they go wrong. I think its similar to driving a daily commuter to a race car. Both will run, both will get you from point A to B. However, the local jiffy lube won't work on the F-1 racer. In that sense it's like reloading, another facet of the sport to learn.

I thought about an open glock for a while, but this smoking deal on an open sti came up. Who knows, I may go open glock later. Open guns are like pringles, you cant have just one =).

I tried the dark side, and I like it. When the guns really running, I finish the stage and I can't get the grin off. It's gone beyond just shooting, it's understanding how everything works. I'm really learning a lot. Before when something didn't work I'd go to one of the more knowledgable shooters and ask them how to fix things. Now I know how to get things working, and helping others getting their gear running.

This forum has been great for learning and thanks for everyone who posts and shares their wealth of knowledge.