Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster Mods

talon

I just pulled the following from the IDPA web site.

HOLSTERS AND AMMUNITION CARRIERS MAY NOT BE MODIFIED AND THEY MUST BE USED IN

THEIR ORIGINAL FACTORY CONDITION FOR IDPA COMPETITION.

So.... If you heat up your kydex holster with a hair dryer and bend it such that its stands out more from your body;

would you consider that "cheating" ?  Or do  the folks that do this rationalize that its not really a "modification".

talon,

In the plastic injection molding process sometimes you get plastic (kydex) parts that are not to blueprint.

Maybe your kydex holster was molded in the press that the "heats" or timing cycle was too long which results in a deformation of the original product..

(maybe the cycle time was off or the plastic pellets were not properly dried and prepped before molding, there are many variables).

If you happen to purchase such a holster that is out of spec. or slipped by quality control how would you know?

get my drift????

I would say take the blow dryer and modify the holster to fit your needs (more user friendly) and if you are asked about it play dumb and simply state "I don't know sir, this is the way the factory shipped it to me."

Just don't leave any obvious signs of your alterations.

I don't look at this as "cheating" I look at it as "gaming".

Unless of course you cut the thing down in the form of a gun hanger instead of a gun holster.

Subtle changes are the result of a creative mind...

dont let your imagination take you by suprise

• 6 months later...

Hmmm.

IDPA rules don't say anything about max distance from your body to the gun, but the mod you want to do sounds like it would give a competetive advantage, and it would also degrade the concealability of the holster.  So I would say no, you can't do it.

If you were just gonna sand off some burr that wer sticking into your hip, or change the curvature to fit your waist, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Of course, my opinion carries no official weight.

Semper Fi,

DogmaDog

Just my opinion, but modifying your holster to gain a competitive advantage and then lying about it - and why lie unless you knew it was wrong - seems pretty clearly to fall under the "cheating" category. It's exactly what the "no mods" rule was designed to prevent.

Fine.  What about those of us who find that all the approved IDPA holsters suck?  From years of martial arts and weightlifting, I have a over-proportioned set of glutes and thighs.  ("Merl, does this holster make my butt look big?")

I can't wear a "practical" IDPA holster that is unmodified without ending up with a 1911 hammer in my kidney or floating ribs.  A few hours of that, and I'm a cripple for the rest of the day.

So, just how "practical" is the approved holster list for me?  And if my modification isn't for competitive advantage, but for comfort and concealability, how have I violated the spirit of the rules?

Here is what I found from the IDPA site

Equipment:

All equipment used in Defensive Pistol matches must meet the following simple guidelines: equipment must be practical for self-defense use, concealable, suitable for all-day continuous wear, and must be worn in a manner that would be appropriate for all-day continuous wear. The match director will be REQUIRED to disallow any equipment that does not meet these simple criteria. If you wouldn't carry it to defend yourself, you can't shoot or use it in Defensive Pistol competition.

HOLSTER and AMMUNITION CARRIER RULES

Holsters and ammunition carriers permitted for Defensive Pistol competition must be specifically designed and marketed for concealed carry/duty use and NOT for range or competition use and must be suitable for continuous all-day concealed carry wear,….

and of course as mentioned previously

HOLSTERS AND AMMUNITION CARRIERS MAY NOT BE MODIFIED AND THEY MUST BE USED IN THEIR ORIGINAL FACTORY CONDITION FOR IDPA COMPETITION.

Patrick - my answer would be no ,you haven't violated the spirit of the rules.

Talon - what was the purpose of  the modification for ?

Well, he's violated the letter of the rules, which says no modifications period. But I agree he hasn't violated the spirit of the rules, and I can't imagine any RO/SO dinging him on it. OTOH for the guy who doesn't look like Arnold circa 1980 and who modifies the holster just to make it faster....that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish altogether.

BTW Patrick have you checked out some of the stuff Hellweg sells? They've got a few IDPA approved "carry/competition" holsters that hold the piece SERIOUSLY away from the body. It might work for you, out-of-the-box.

I tried one for a while, and that led me back to another problem.  (Imagine what my tailor goes through!)  The holster held the gun so high I thought I'd have to dislocate my shoulder to draw.  (Long legs, high waist, long arms.  The opposite of Robbie.)

I'm still looking for the perfect holster.

I know the holster you're talking about. You know that spacer attached to the back of the holster that holds it way high? Have you thought about taking that off, turning it around so it holds the gun lower instead of higher? It makes a big difference.

Hey Patrick,

Maybe if you got one of those women's "drop and offset" holsters, and then wore a wig to your matches, you'd be OK (make sure it's a "tactical" wig, though)  ;)

Just kidding.  I don't envy you your problem, and unfortunately can't offer any sound advice, and I agree that modifying a holster to fit your body is within the spirit of the rules.

Oh, and Talon, re-reading your post, you didn't specifically say YOU were planning on modifying your holster, but I kinda assumed you were, and "talked" kinda gruff at you.  Sorry if I overreacted.

Semper Fi,

DogmaDog

DogmaDog,

That reminds me of the shotgun event at Second Chance, where women had a full second off their times.  (A nearly insurmountable advantage, by the way)

I asked Richard Davis if I could get the second off too, if I dressed in a wig and skirt.  He said that I'd have to wear fishnet stockings, and that Al Friedlander would be designated UnderskirtSexChecker.  The stockings I could have lived with, but not Al.

Fishnet stockings? Did somebody say fishnet stockings?? Yeee-haaaaaa!

Anyway, I don't know doo-doo about IDPA but we nice people at IPSC allow Range Masters to use "reasonable discretion" for those of us who don't have bodies like Adonis.

See Appendix E, Standard Division Part i and Modififed Division Part n.

(Edited by Vince Pinto at 3:54 am on May 2, 2002)