Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger P89

Gti18T

I have a ruger p89 that my grandfather gave me before he died. I shot it at first, but then got into glocks. I want to start shooting the p89 to classify in ESP in IDPA. What can i do to tweek the trigger of the p89 without grinding/or having to take the gun to a smith to work on the trigger. It's really rough now. Any spring changes? if so, where can i find them and which springs. Thanks

Dan

Dan,

Seeing how no one has responded to your question...

I don't know of anyone that specifically advertises trigger jobs for that platform, but I am sure it could be 'worked'. Ruger's automatics haven't caught on in competitive circles, which is the most likely cause for this situation. There are many competent gunsmiths that frequent the forums, you might have to call around and ask.

Sorry I don't have a specific answer for you...

The one advantage with the P89 is you will never have to worry about it not working properly. Every Ruger I have owned has run like tank. Someday I am thinking of breaking out my P89 and shooting some production with it. The problem I have with it is the long double action first shot. I know there are people that have over come triggers like that, but I know it takes a lot of practice.

I too love my P89 and several months ago tried to find a smith. Google for it and they all did the revolvers. Some that did do some work specifically said NOT "P series" autos. I tried the Ruger Forum and no luck either.

Edited by bobert1

I know there was an outfit called Novak's (although not sure it is "that" Novak's) that was doing P-series trigger jobs. I almost sent my KP94 to them for work before I decided to abandon that platform for IPSC.

There are enough PDs using them that there have to be some folks out there smithing these pistols.

A good careful polishing (polish...don't grind/sand) of the mating surfaces and a good dose of the proper lube can generally do a LOT for a trigger. You could also try and find out what weight of mainspring they are using and drop that by a pound or two if you can find a replacement of lower weight.