Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Ss In The Market?

sandman_sy

Hmm...no love for the Les Baer(s)?

I have a stock PremierII -- the most basic model -- and in the $1k-1.5k range, I'd put it up against most anything at that price point.

I really do think you need to specify a price range, too. IMO, Kimber's strength and value is more in the lower range. For $700, or so, a plain CustomII, is going to be accurate, and run. Forged frame, made in USA, and the full-sized models shouldn't have problems with the external extractor. Yes, MIM parts, but you can replace them as they break. <grin>

I fall into the group that thinks a Baer is the best deal, dollar-for-dollar, of any 1911 available. Slap on a mag well and you're off to the races. You can spend more, but it's hard to get more. Having a reliable pistol with all tool steel components is very comforting to me.

24,000+ rounds through my PII with next to no cleaning and only one failure not attributable to ammo, shooter or mags (I *do* lube it, though).

My next choice would be a Kimber with the fire control parts swapped for tool steel (get rid of the MIM). Their base gun (frame/slide/barrel) is an excellent value. Get an Extreme Engineering trigger group with Disconnector and don't look back.

I like the workmanship on the Springfields, but I don't like the radius on the frontstrap or the lower-than-optimum grip safety.

+1 to that..imho....just like everything else,you can start at the entry price level of any SS[$600 to$1100.]gun,or you can get one ready to go[$1400. to 1900.],or you can get one with all the tedious labor envolved options/parts throwed in [$2500 to 3500 and up....] if the money is close and you want to get something for your money ,then just save a little more to get what you want...someone like me being LH, i have to have [want to have]an ambi safety...900 gun just turned into a 1100 gun..and then there is the difference of the general population that will buy a new SS,shoot 2 or 3 boxes of ammo,then put it away....either way you look at it, if 2 or more opinions are involved between shooters,it's gonna turn into the chevy/ford thing.....every used gun has a story to tell..so just purchase what will make you happy..... :o