Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To keep the post short, I recently lost a hard drive. I reloaded XP pro and am getting along with trying to pull all my info back.

But the problem I'm having is that when I attempt to go the the task manager, I get a msg screen that says that task manager has been disabled by the administrator. Weellll. I am the administrator and didn't do it.

Any ideas on how to make it available? I have bought a new 160GB external drive for backup purposes (closing the gate after the horse is out) and can back everything up and reinstall if I need to.

TIA

dj

Perhaps do a search via Google or something? I had a problem similar to this, at one point, and it turned out I'd managed to get infected by a trojan - one of the steps it took was to disable the Task Manager in this fashion...

I'd bet money it's a virus. There's a setting in the registry you can change back to get task manager back while you're de-virusing yourself. Don't bother with Norton Anti-Virus to get rid of the virus. It won't work.

Reading between the lines, you didn't actually "lose" your hard drive.

By that I mean it didn't crash and burn thus needing to be replaced.

I'm thinking that you "lost" it when it became infected by a virus and became the electronic equivalent of a drunken sailor.

It usually isn't a destructive virus, more likey adware and/or spyware.

The first thing they do is disable your task manager so that you can't use it to shut down the offending programs and retake control of your computer.

You will not resolve the situation or save your data simply by reloading XP.

If your computer still functions well enough, copy your data files onto your new backup drive.

After you have saved what you can, format the boot drive and load XP from scratch.

Bye bye virus.

Reload your application software and recover your data from the backup drive.

Problem solved.

The best solution for viruses is not to get them.

Anti virus software is somewhat successful at preventing them but despite claims to the contrary, not very good at removing them.

A hardware firewall is the best defense.

Once viruses are there, it is almost impossible to clean them without strong measures.

They invade your computer at a very basic level and removing them manually is beyond the expertise of most users.

Save yourself the anguish.

Nuke 'em and move on.

Good luck,

Tony

Edited by tlshores

After you have saved what you can, format the boot drive and load XP from scratch.

Bye bye virus.

Not True. Depends on virus type. you still have bootsector to deal with and formatting disk alone will not get rid of a bootsector virus.

The best solution for viruses is not to get them.

Anti virus software is somewhat successful at preventing them but despite claims to the contrary, not very good at removing them.

A hardware firewall is the best defense.

Hardware firewalls offer no protection from aquiring a virus.

It may be a virus, but I wouldn't expect it. I'm running through a cable modem to a network router my son set up as a firewall. I'm running windows firewall and ZoneAlarm. I've been using NAV and after the reload my son has installed AVG virus protection.

I've also been using two ad-ware removal programs not counting the Windows beta version that was put out a while back.

I have felt rather secure up to this time. MyWife and Son's computers have not had any problems on the same wired/wireless network.

I guess I'll just do what Tony has suggested, Nuke it and move on.

thanks again

dj

Before you nuke it.. which SP are you on?

If you're not on 2... apply it, sometimes the service packs can clear up things.. if you already have 2 on, someimtes yuo can re-apply it..

If it works.. you're way ahead.. If not, you only lost 1/2 hour..

Before you nuke it.. which SP are you on?

If you're not on 2... apply it, sometimes the service packs can clear up things.. if you already have 2 on, someimtes yuo can re-apply it..

If it works.. you're way ahead.. If not, you only lost 1/2 hour..

Dave,

I was running SP2 and reinstalled SP2. Was also running NAV scan w/updates every night and automatic windows updates.

dj

It seems I need to qualify my statements.

It is true that some viruses are more intrusive and destructive than others.

Some can get into the boot sector of your disk.

It is difficult to diagnose a problem without access to the machine but from the post it sounds like adware / spyware infection.

IF SO, that type of virus will not survive a format.

As for the firewall comment, I guess I didn't word that very well.

The point I was trying to express was that most people think that they are well protected from malice by the software firewalls that come with the operating system.

While they do afford some protection, a hardware firewall is better protection against intrusion. They do not necessary stop trojans and the like.

Tls

Edited by tlshores