Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vince Pinto - how do you shoot IPSC in Hong Kong

Krag

Hong Kong is self-governing quasi-democracy except in respect of defence (this is handled by Big Brother), but we really appreciate this because this helps us keep our maximum income tax rate at 15%.

Civilians have access to two outdoor ranges and two indoor ranges and anyone can be licensed to own and use a gun, provided you satisfy three criteria:

1) Fit and proper person (no criminal record);

2) Valid reason (competition shooting is the only one);

3) Member of a gun club.

You cannot get a CCW license, but nobody needs one because our crime rate is incredibly low. I have 20 guns on my "license for possession", which is essentially a "transport permit" allowing me to move guns from my gun club to other ranges in Hong Kong for matches etc.

I'm also licensed to store a shotgun and a .22 rifle at home, but we cannot store handguns at home. On the other hand, we have no "10 round" or other magazine capacity restrictions.

We have IPSC matches every month and two Level III matches each year. I also just returned from serving as Range Master for the first IPSC Level III match ever conducted in Beijing, where we had 100 competitors. The range in Beijing is about 6 squillion acres!

IPSC Hong Kong is independant from IPSC China, so we each do our own thing, but IPSC Hong Kong serves as advisor to the mainland group, which only started a few months ago.

Hope this answers your questions.

IPSC Hong Kong is independant from IPSC China, so we each do our own thing, but IPSC Hong Kong serves as advisor to the mainland group, which only started a few months ago.

IPSC CHINA?????!!!!!!!!  Wow!  Who'da thunk.....

Krag, the HK guys who shoot Open and Standard mostly all use ST/SVI guns, the Production guys favour Glocks and the Revolver guys mostly use S&W Model 686.

BrianH, yes, there is a huge potential for IPSC in China. It'll be a slow and rocky road, but all the main players are right behind us.

Hell, I'm even trying to get them to bid for the World Shoot in 2008, which would be held 2 months after the Olympics, and they are very receptive to the idea.

Watch this space ---------->         <----------

The 2008 World Shoot in Peoples Republic of China!

I can just see the 1911 crowd's reaction when the 2008 World Open Champ is shooting a tricked out ChiCom Type 51 in 7.62x25 and the Production winner uses a Type 59 in 9mm Makarov? Wow, that would have Jeff Cooper turning a strange shade of purple. LOL

Excuse me, I'm just in a naughty mood today. Been stuck in the house with a killer cold all week and am getting cabin fever.

The issue of sub-9mm calibres was raised a few years ago by the (German) RD of IPSC Cambodia (which no longer exists), but the idea received only a lukewarm reception.

If we did allow, say, 7.62mm guns, we could more easily launch IPSC in Indochina and much of the former Soviet Union, but it seems 9mm will remain our minimum calibre in the forseeable future.

Anecdote: I've been going stir-crazy over the past 6 months with 8 different enquiries about starting IPSC in Bulgaria, none of which have materialised.

One of the guys is really driving me nuts because he can't seem to understand that our minimum calibre is 9mm and he wants to shoot Level III matches in Europe with a 7.62x25 .........

If any of you guys speak Bulgarian, consider yourself deputized !

Not that we *need* any more divisions, but a "Come as you are" division would be OK by me.  Just show up with your gear and shoot.  30 cal Luger?  No problem.  22 conversion?  No problem.  Just lump all the competitors into the "funzies" division and let them go to town.  The only rule is that it's for fun and pissing and moaning is not allowed.  We've got to get over the perception of IPSC as being "you can't come shoot if you don't have _______."  They *can* come shoot, just for fun, not for prizes...

E

Eric - I agree 110%. I've broached the subject a number of times over the years and it's always been a toss up over who wants to lynch me first, the Open Shooters who believe they can only win with techno-junkie handguns or the .45 crowd who believe anyone who disagrees with Cooper is a heretic who needs burning at the stake. I've always been of the opinion that this sport should be FUN before anyting else. Those of us who take ourselves too seriously are our biggest enemies.

(Edited by Krag at 6:46 pm on Nov. 16, 2002)

Vince

Well . . . made it to HK and have since come home. Spent 6 days there and 6 days in Shen Zhen. Sorry I didn't get a hold of you - work was busy.

I'm headed back over in Jan. maybe we can hook up then.

JB

"How should we calibrate poppers?"

Simple, all the "fun" shooters have to do is "ring" them. We do that all the time at our CCW matches for those shooters using .22, .25 and .32 pistols.