Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eye Focus Drills?

ArnisAndyz

Are there any eye focus specific drills that you do during dry-fire to help going from target focus to front sight focus? I taped a small happy face to the front of my muzzle right behind front sight. I start focused on the target, bring the gun up and focus in on the happy face. The reason I drew a happy face is that it was easier for me to see, something more tangible to focus on, then just the front sight, so I'm using it as a crutch until my eyes get used to it.

Will this kind of exercise help or am I just waisting my time? Thanks.

I would get rid of the crutch as soon as possible & learn to walk. Find the front sight & learn to focus on it. Use something smaller than a target or as Brian said learn to focus on the screw in a light switch then focus the front sight on it.

I am currently trying a 1/3 size IPSC Target with a 1/2 dot in the upper 1/3 of the A Zone at 12' (living room) with a target in each corner of the room.

I am currently trying a 1/3 size IPSC Target with a 1/2 dot in the upper 1/3 of the A Zone at 12' (living room) with a target in each corner of the room.

When I started doing dryfire practice, I also used 1/3 scale IPSC targets at about 3 to 4 yards. Then I read some threads here that doing so didn't exercise the far-to-near transitions necessary for dryfire practice.

So next, I set up 3 full size IPSC targets at 13 meters (one end of the kitchen to the far end of the living room...IPSC targets in your family room make great conversation starters ..... especially when the FBI shows up at your house :D ) and placed a bright 3" square post-it-note on each target to help my mind locate the scoring zone. I practice this way for a few weeks and then removed the post-it-notes.

The great thing about this dryfire technique is that I'm seeing full size targets at distances I'd typically be seeing targets at actual matches.....so I'm seeing in practice what I'd see on an actual stage.

For me, there's nothing better than the real deal. I have steel challenge-like targets made out of corrugated plastic located permanently in the back yard. Targets range from 5-7 yard rectangles to a 20+ yard 4"x4" square. If I want to shoot a different "stage" I just move the start box and/or change the order of engagement. Fortunately, I live in the sticks so no one says boo to me. If I lived in the city, I'd get an airsoft pistol with a red muzzle and simply explain it to the neighbors.

Be very demanding of yourself when you do this. It will feel (and time) just outrageously slow, but demand perfect focus. Demand perfectly aligned sights. Make the transistions huge. Demand that your knees and not your shoulders drive your torso into position. Your body will automatically turn up the speed on match day - no need to worry there.

Then throw in a mag change. Throw in some movement. Repeat as necessary.

Thanks for the tips. I'll pickup a full sized target and set it up at a good distance to work the eyes. I should have enough room in my living room to go out to at least 15 yards.

Edited by ArnisAndyz

You really need more than one target. Drawing is definitely important, but you do one draw and up to 31 transitions per stage. ;)

Yeah, just not sure how the wife will take 31 full sized targets in the living room! I guess I could start with 3.

Think about 4 targets with multiple transitions . Like left to right, followed by right to left, to third target, first target, second, then fourth.

Or if doing it in the house, couple of targets in each room, then moving from room to room.--I want to do this one when my daughter's first boyfriend comes over!

Thanks for all the replys. I have been practicing tranistions with reduced targets at a closer distance, but I never realized the extra distance would force the eyes to work more. Now that I think about it it makes perfect sense!

Edited by ArnisAndyz

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some tricks I learned from playing other sports:

Focus Drill

Hold a pen or your thumb at arms length. Find another object about 15 - 20 feet away, such as a light switch screw. When doing this drill it is best to find a specific spot to focus on. For example, if you are using your thumb I like to clearly see my finger prints - see the slot in the screw head. Practice speeding up transitions at arms length, then during the exercise move your finger/pen closer to your face.

Eye Tracking Drill

Again, no special equipment required. Using your best 'The Fonz' impersonation ;) hold your thumb up at arms length. Move your thumb in figure 8 motion. As your tracking ability improves, increase the speed and vary the size of the figure 8. Also, as you progress constantly vary the distance between your nose and thumb.

I have some additional drills, but most require more equipment and/or a partner. These can be done in the office for those that can't dryfire at work :) I do these after a dry fire session, or when the A.D.D. kicks in haha

Hope this helps,

Justin

Here are some tricks I learned from playing other sports:

Thanks, I'm on my lunch break trying these drills right now.

Its been a couple weeks since i started, but I changed my workout routine so I can wakeup earlier and dryfire practice in the morning outdoors using actual targets at match distances (instead of the reduced targets indoors). Its a big difference! I'm tracking alot better and I feel like my vision is getting more of a workout. An added plus is that it feels more like match day being outside and my FO is easier to pickup.

Awesome!

Here is another dot drill posted by Matt Burkett :

http://www.doublealpha.biz/tip_burkett.htm

(I couldn't find the original link off Matt's site after his recent 'makeover')

It is amazing some of the things you can see and react to once you are accustomed to 'working' out your eyes. If you go to a baseball game, try sitting behind home plate and look for the stitches on the ball. After a while, almost any real time action can turn into "bullet time" a la The Matrix...

Another thing I do to pass time on roadtrips is transitioning between signs while traveling. (For obvious reasons I don't recommend doing this while you are driving).

My favorite eye speed / coordination "exercise" is playing 1st person shooter video games. Battlefield 2, Doom 3, Counter Strike, etc... Ever play Wall-Ball or Dodgeball as a kid? The possibilities are endless :)

On the lighting comment, I have found that when my pupils dilate objects are harder to bring into focus.

Good Luck! After a few weeks training, it will seem like you are waiting on the front sight ;)