Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Merry Xmas

Vince Pinto

Hi guys,

Since I spend most of my time in this particular forum, I just thought this is the best place to wish you and yours the very best for Xmas and the New Year.

I've really enjoyed our discussions and debates here and I think we covered a lot of ground this year.

Frankly I don't care whether we agree on a given issue or not, but I certainly do appreciate the general tone, civility and mutual respect which prevails.

I send special greetings to our generous host Brian Enos, who has given us the best venue in the world for us to discuss matters of mutual interest.

Thank you all for your friendship and I truly hope we can all get together over a beer or three one of these days soon.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but, anyway. A lot of christians are insulted by the use of Xmas instead of Christmas.  Not picking on you Vince, I'm sure you didn't mean to be disrespectful.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

(Edited by 2alpha at 8:24 pm on Dec. 22, 2002)

Why should Christians be insulted?

I believe the common abbreviation for Christmas derives from the Greek alphabet. X is the letter Chi, which is the first letter of Christ's name in Greek.

I know some Christians who object to use of the word "Merry" before Christmas, because they think it implies "happiness induced by alcohol".

In any case, at this time of year, perhaps it would be more Christian to accept the sentiment expressed?

Merry X-Mas Vince.  Here is a bit of supporting documentation as an early present to you.

-ld

from Random House online:

Usage. The abbreviation XMAS for Christmas dates

from the mid-16th cent. The X is the Greek letter

chi, the initial in the word Xpi s t ós (Christos)

"Christ." In spite of a long and respectable

history, today XMAS is objectionable to many,

perhaps because of its associations with

advertising. It is not used in formal writing.

Vince, since you think that "Merry" is objectionable to some and you obviously knew that " Xmas" is also, what is your message that you want accepted?

I don't believe you're interested in why Christians object to "Xmas".

I won't make any further comment on this since this is not a religious forum but I think if you're going to wish for someone to enjoy a religious holiday you should do it with respect or not at all.

Good Lord, at least have the decency to look past the words to the meaning. I'll even help out:

Buon Natale

Kala Kristouyana

Happy Holidays

Happy Hannuka

Feliz Navidad

Happy Christmas

Maligayang Pasko

Happy Kwanzaa

Happy Ramadan

Buddha be praised

Now in interests of all, I say drop it and be merry...or do we want to restart the crusades here?