Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Uncle Mikes Kydex Holster Actually Good?

backspin

I have been running a blade-tech injection molded paddle holster for the past couple of months and it pulls the gun so close into the body that I find it harder to get a solid grip on the gun when my hands come down for the draw. My right thumb is usually riding on the back-left of the slide as I'm bringing the gun up, which forces my hand to shift mid-draw which leads to some inconsistency in sight picture as I bring the gun eye-level. Practice more or less mitigated this issue.

Then I tried my friend's uncle mikes kydex paddle holster and noticed that it offsets the gun about an inch off the body. Now I can actually get a full grip before the gun comes out of the holster. And getting a good sight picture is almost effortless when drawing from an uncle mikes when compared to the blade tech paddle. My confidence in my draw increased tremendously.

For me this experience reinforces the importance of getting a full grip for the draw.

Too bad this also means I'm going to have to buy a new holster <_<

You could buy a new droppped and offset hanger for your Bladetech holster, I think they are 10 or 12 bucks..... of course, the whole Uncle Mike's is only about 15 :P And they are darn good holsters.

You could buy a new droppped and offset hanger for your Bladetech holster, I think they are 10 or 12 bucks..... of course, the whole Uncle Mike's is only about 15 :P And they are darn good holsters.

+1... Best bang for the buck in the business....

IMHO :)

I now use a Hogue Powerspeed(?) holster (the one with magnets), only because I picked it up off a prize table. Prior to that I was using an Uncle Mike's with good results. I don't feel like I would be giving anything up going back to the UM holster.

It's not that the Hogue holster is slow (it's not), it's just that the UM works well. (and maybe I need to work on my draws more).